1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Building a desktop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Crammit, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crammit

Crammit Thread Starter

Hello, after my first semester at my local technical college, overall, in pursuit of a 4 year degree I have decided to build my own desktop which I have never done. I have spoke with peers about the first step in looking to build a computer and I have no doubt-ably come to the decision to use newegg.com to go about ordering my parts, but if you have other suggestions I would definitely consider those options . Furthermore, I am looking for advice on building a desktop that will be suitable for virtualization. I would like to be able to install Windows 7(correct me if I am wrong but because of the amount of RAM able to be ran I should go with a 64 bit operating system? and if so does anyone know about how to possibly get a free student version which would be awesome.) However, use the OS to manipulate various versions of Windows including Server versions along with Linux/Unix. So in conclusion I suppose I am looking for advice in bare-bones systems to start with followed with the best way to check compatibility between parts. I have heard determining the motherboard will result in majority of my compatibility options which has lead me hear to try and figure out which initial bare-bones system will result in optimal compatible parts to run virtualization software efficiently. Also I think I would like to use the same desktop to host the domain of my small household network, and I just want to make sure I go about achieving all of this with the most efficient and effective machine possible. So any input would be appreciated, thank you.

Edit: Nevermind about the "looking for a student 64 bit operating system" dreamspark let me download a separate 64 bit OS as I did not think it would for having already downloaded the 32 bit version of Windows 7. I am good on a 64 bit OS for running on my new desktop I am working on building.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081661

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice