1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Building a new desktop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parabejus, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Parabejus

Parabejus Thread Starter

Hi. I am thinking of building a new desktop PC. I have read some reviews and decided GTX560 Ti for GPU and Intel Core i5-2500 for CPU. Now i'm confused which motherboard should I buy. What would you recommend?
    About the proccesor, I found that i5 2500K is better if you are planning to overclock it, so I chose the basic 2500 as I am not going for overclock. Is there a processor which suits GTX 560 Ti better? What would you recommend? I would also like to know how much RAM for such PC would be optimal. Also which power block and case should I choose for optimal power and cooling.
    I have somewhere read that H67 motherboard would suit my choice :) Anyway looking forward to hearing your opinion.

Martin.

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    How much are you looking at spending as that will impact on your choices?

What is the machine going to be used for, I would assume a fair bit of gaming as you say your going for a GTX560?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's good you don't plan to overclock. It is ridiculous to buy a new rig and then overclock it, shortening its life and making it unstable, when you should buy the rig with the capacity that you wanted to begin with. :D

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I like to use either gigabyte or asus boards. Since you have no plans to overclock, an intel board would also be a good choice. Here is an example of a decent gigabyte board.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128512

Next regarding ram, what os are you installing? If you are using a 32bit os, it cannot use more than 4gig of ram. If you use a 64bit os, then 8gig should work out fine for you.

Are you planing a ssd drive for the os and basic apps? A ssd is the biggest boost to performance you can give a system. I use 2 ssd drives in raid0 and it incredible how fast the system runs. Boots win7 in 12 seconds after post; total time from pw ON to desktop is approx 20 seconds.

5. Parabejus

Parabejus Thread Starter

Yep. A common gaming PC :) I also sometimes work with video editing programs. Looking to spend about 600 $

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I highly doubt you are going to get those parts for $600; the video card alone is around $250 plus $210 or so for the cpu. That does not leave much for a quality mb, ram, pw supply, case, etc, etc; add in a ssd and you are WAY over $600; $8-900 might get you the parts you want with careful shopping and MIRs.

7. Wino

Wino

You might take a look at what you can get prebuilt within your budget

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...rItems&IsProductMoreSimilar=1&Item=83-227-371

The Ibuypower has a system similar to one I built last year for about half the price I paid, even buying all components on sale. I'm not promoting Ibuypower, but it came up in another thread and I was surprised at the pricing. Will say I'd rather build my own and do, but if money tight, I'd consider an alternative if i could get more bang for my bucks.

8. Parabejus

Parabejus Thread Starter

Hmm... Well anyway thanks for all advice :)
    And God that prebuilt one is a good bargain, however I don't need all that small things they add (Mouse, keyboard etc) It's strange that seperate parts are so mmuch more expensive than a prebuilt box ..

9. Parabejus

Parabejus Thread Starter

I'm planning to build everyday use PC which is good for gaming. I not only play games. I work with basic programs, Mozilla, Vegas Pro, Office. Oh, I didn't understand this part:

Are you planing a ssd drive for the os and basic apps? A ssd is the biggest boost to performance you can give a system. I use 2 ssd drives in raid0 and it incredible how fast the system runs. Boots win7 in 12 seconds after post; total time from pw ON to desktop is approx 20 seconds.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I edited your post for language. Read and follow the rules when posting.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A ssd is a solid state drive. This gives the greatest performance since it blows away a mech hard drive in speed. No mech hard disk is going to give you much over 100mps speed. A single ssd is around 285mps read/write. I use 2 in raid and get around 450mps read/write. UT2004 [which is what I play mostly] loads in about 1 second from clicking the icon.

12. Parabejus

Parabejus Thread Starter

Ok. Sorry for that swearword :(
    Thanks for the explanation. Going to find out the differences between HDD and SDD and choose which one is best for me. As for MB I am still confused. I am not going to overclock so I guess I should go for a H67 not the P67 huh?

13. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    If you are not fairly heavily into gaming, it might be worth a drop on the GPU a bit. I am running a GTX460 in my system and taht runs everything I want it to perfectly fine. Recently got Skyrim and it runs that flawlessly on high settings (which are the settings the game chose based on my system). I could probably get more out of it tweaking the settings.

14. Parabejus

Parabejus Thread Starter

Good point. I'll consider that one. Anyway what about the motherboard??? The more I read the more confused I become. I want the H67 as its cheaper, but will I be able to use all my CPU and GPU potential (without overcloking) with this board ???

15. Parabejus

Parabejus Thread Starter

Ok. Finally I managed to decide. I am going for Intel DH67BL , because it matches the processor perfectly.
    Here's what I am thinking of RAM : http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT2KIT51264BA1339

Now about the hard disk. I don't know if I should choose SATA 3GB/s or SATA 6GB/s. Will the 6GB/s be visibly faster or should I stick with the 3GB/s?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027236

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice