1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Building a server and want to make sure suggessted setup works

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by new tech guy, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. new tech guy

new tech guy Thread Starter

Hello guys,
    This is a cross between networking and hardware (networking is not the major problem here) but i want to build a server out of an old desktop terminal i have. I am using a SATA card and am going to boot to that card which will have 2 hard disks on it.
    Here is a listing on the card i found on newegg, i know its lower end but all i want is SATA, im not using any RAID setups. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124006

The two drives I want to use are a 80GB drive which will boot windows xp pro and contain the software needed for the server. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136195

The server drive will be 1TB and will contain the folders that will be shared with the rest of the network. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136293

My question is about the sata speed, drive sizes, and compatibility.

First one, will having a 3.0 gbps SATA device on a 1.5GB device work? I realize i will not get the 3.0 speed but will it work as the slower 1.5 speed just like a usb 2.0 card can be backwords compatible with a 1.1 device?

Second, will the card detect the entire drive? I know the 80 gb shouldnt be a problem because it is small, but the 1TB concerns me. Will windows see the entire TB? Also, at boot time, if for any reason i need to run a setup disc, will the drive be seen or will i need to wire the device to the normal ide interface for setup and basically jockey the connection back to the SATA once the setup is done?

Just need some advice, thank you in advance.

2. BG-0

BG-0

3. new tech guy

Ok so if that is the case, will the 80 gb also do this auto negotiation as well? Also when i searched and read the seagate pdf file, it seems as if the power port for a SATA drive is different then the standard IDE interface. Is this true or will the current power supply installed on the machine (300 watt i beleive it is) suffice? It works fine with two hds and 2 cd roms (all on the standard ATAPI and IDE channels).

4. BG-0

BG-0

5. new tech guy

And apart from that i guess everything else would work, sorry to be so much of a reliance on you, just never worked with SATA before.

6. BG-0

BG-0

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Using mixed with IDE/PATA might do cause some work for you, but otherwise you'll be just fine as is.
    Don't worry, I've never worked with servers :D

7. new tech guy

Ok thanks alot :).

8. BG-0

BG-0

Problem solved? Mark so, unsolve if there's trouble with the build.

9. new tech guy

I guess so, i did a calculation of the prices and dont think i did bad with newegg considering im within $200. I figure i could sell the old NAS when the new build is up to recover from the financial hit.

10. new tech guy

By the way, will the sata cable you provided connect to the end of the cable going into the standard IDE hard disk? Because it is a male plug on the tip of the PSU cable going into the drives.

11. new tech guy

Never mind, popped open the panel on the build system real quick and checked, sure enough it will work fine :). Right now im just bargain hunting for cheapest price.

12. BG-0

BG-0

Yeah, the molex connector that connects to (for example) IDE HDDs goes to the other end of the adapter.

13. new tech guy

I shopped around and it seems newegg has the best price so i figure i can order the parts and i will try to assemble it somtime during the week or weekend if i dont have time.

14. new tech guy

UPDATE: I had some time today get plug in everything and after setting everything up, i said a prayer and flipped the almighty switch...And i get a big fat nothing. The system boots, bios checks out ok, then after the main post screen it goes into the PCI card which seems to have its own BIOS and this is where heartache begins. It just sits there and hangs up, dunno ive let it run for a few moments nothing, disconnected the terabyte drive, nothing, all cables are plugged in and the drive has power. Just not sure why the system is having such a hard time detecting the hd. Possible incompatibility??? I wonder that because with no drives inserted it sits for a second then goes right into its normal boot sequence of checking the cd rom/floppy and such. What is going on with my system? Not sure what to do next, suggesstions are appreciated.

15. BG-0

BG-0

Okay..Few questions first:
    Does the 80 GB /1TB drive contain a Windows installment? Do you have a Windows install disk in you optical drive?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758317

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice