1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Built my first rig, cant get SATA drive to boot or disc to start.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by A1ex 655321, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. A1ex 655321

A1ex 655321 Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for looking at my question.
    I just built a new (and 1st) computer and am having trouble booting with my hard drive. I have a SATA drive (detected in the BIOS) and an ASUS motherboard, heres the messages I get.

It starts up, showing the motherboard graphic
    Then says the BIOS is Initializing...

Then it displays 2 messages on the screen saying
    (The |'s indicated where the screen cuts off)

|pter 1
    |ks Information:
    | No hard disk is detected!
    |
    |pter 2
    |ks Information:
    | No hard disk is detected!

Then goes on to the next screen and says
    Reboot and Select proper Boot device
    Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

I put my windows vista install DVD in my cd/dvd drive (also detected in BIOS) and pressed a key but the message just repeats 5 seconds later.

In the BIOS is says

Primary IDE Master/Slave are both [Not Detected]
    SATA1 shows my hard drive I have

The SATA drive is detected in the Boot Device Priority and is set to 1st and the DVD drive is 2nd. Still wouldnt run the disc even when I switched it to the 1st. Maybe my drive is screwing up?

I have no idea how to fix this so any information would be great, thanks!

2. frankjohn

frankjohn

Do you have raid disabled? Is your connection from the HD to the board connected to SATA not to raid on the board?

3. A1ex 655321

I dont know how to disable raid or even what it is, but I do know that the HD is connected to the SATA port on the board. In the manual there are 3 boxes labeled, SATA13 SATA24 and SATA_RAID12. I have it connected in the SATA13 which houses the SATA 1 and 3 connections. (Its in 1)

I was also messing around with the DVD drive trying different connections with an old ASUS cable that had thicker wires than the new one. The drive is about a year old or so but rarely used and worked recently. Also the only place I could connect the drive on the board was the primary IDE port, I dont know if this matters or not. And ive also realized that in the BIOS it always says ATAPI CD-ROM even when I disconnect the dvd drive, so I have no idea what is going on. Thanks for helping me!

4. frankjohn

frankjohn

Is the sata drive NEW and do you hear it spinning? did the drive come with any disc?Make sure your connections are secure.

5. A1ex 655321

6. A1ex 655321

I connected the HD to both connections in the SATA_RAID12 box on the board and during startup when it displays the 2 No Hard Disk Detected! messaged then 2nd on now dispays the SATA drive name, but then in the BIOS there are no SATA drives detected and i still end in the same result with the next error message.

7. frankjohn

frankjohn

Try this- insert the windows CD into the CDROM drive -power down the computer-with HD connected power up the computer-when prompted insert the serial ata controller / mother board driver, once drivers are loaded proceed

8. A1ex 655321

I do that, except instead of getting a promt it goes to the same message saying i need to select a prooper boot device.

Also I have yet to have had the DVD recognized in any way, I tried to set the DVD drive as the Master but when I boot up it tell me it is Incompatible even though it should work.

Is it a problem that I only have 1 SATA drive and nothing else, and I dont have a Serial ATA Card because the board already has connections on it. Do I still need one?

Do you think maybe it would be possible to put in a small IDE drive to get windows installed then try and switch everything over to the SATA?

Thanks for your continued help!

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Look in your bios and see if there is a setting to use the sata as IDE. If so set it to that and try installing windows

10. A1ex 655321

In the storage configuration the OnChip SATA Channel is [Enabled] and the OnChip SATA Type is already set to [IDE].

11. frankjohn

frankjohn

IF you can yes install a IDE drive and hopefully you can build from there Keep in touuch

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It would help if you posted your exact system specs ie asus xxx123 mb, brand and wattage of pw supply, brand and speed of ram, etc, etc.

Next read your manual very carefully. The ide port is often controlled by a third party controller ie jmicron or whatever. This is different than your sata controller and the mode of the third party controller would need to be set to standard or native ide.

13. A1ex 655321

Here are links to the motherboard, SATA drive and DVD drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131224 (Board)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135141 (DVD)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136260 (SATA)

Also have in a 520W Corsair power supply, 2x 2GB G.Skill RAM sticks, AMD Phenom cpu, PCI express vid & sound cards.

---------------------------------------------------------

I've been testing a lot of different things to try an narrow down what might be wrong.

Another road block that I have encountered is that I cannot get any CD/DVD drive to be recognized in the BIOS. No matter what one I plug in (Tried 3) with all jumper settings and different cable configurations the BIOS always says ATAPI CD-ROM in the Boot order menu, meaning its not picking anything up. I dont want to think I need a new motherboard but it might be the case beacuse I also tried to connect a working HD with an IDE connection and it simply wont recognize anything.

I have also gone into the options for the Primary IDE Master in the BIOS and tried changing the Type to both CD-ROM and ARMD (ATAPI Removable Media Device) but when I boot up I get some screen displaying a bunch of information and that the ATAPI CD-ROM is Incompatible which is strange because the origional one I was using has an E-IDE/ATAPI interface according to the specs on Newegg. Also does it matter that it is E-IDE and the port I am connecting it to is IDE. This is all new to me so im still learing, sorry.

Im running out of ideas quickly and have asked a few people but they are not too sure what might be happening. But I want to thank you all for your continued support, please just spit out any ideas you might have for things to try, Im up for almost anything at this point!

14. frankjohn

frankjohn

Have you tried clearing CMOS? After clearing CMOS go into bios set your time a must and then set bios for best config. or set to default. I know what a pain you are having

15. A1ex 655321

I have not tried clearing the CMOS yet. Somebody else mentioned that too and I just got back home from out of town so I am going to try that in a few minutes and I'll update in a bit, thanks :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/729683

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice