1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: burning audio to DVD

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by pcguy9441, May 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

I successfully burned 30 or so mp3's or maybe m4a's to a DVD last year and it works fine in a Subaru CD player but can't seem to do it again and did not take notes. yesterday I burned a disc with WMP 12.0 and it all seemed to go well, but the player in the car says "check disc". The old one still works fine.

Since I have the compilation in WMP 12.0, I'd prefer to use that, but iTUnes is ok to, but can't figure out how to burn with it. When I open it up, I get an error saying reinstall, something is missing re/ CD/DVD burning functionality. The last time I did an install, I think it broke my burner forcing me to delete the upper/lower filters from registry to get it working again, thus prefer to stick with WMP. iTunes still works fine for buying music.

I could do a CD, but have more files than will fit, thus the DVD.

Any do's or don'ts I need to be aware of with burning a DVD? It's a Sony DVD-R BTW, and I believe the same ones I used before with no problem. There is no paper label which I found the hard way will destroy a video DVD over time.

thanks for any advice.

More info: files are in m4a format vs mp3 in the earlier disc plus wmp wrote them in the original iTunes nested folder format. that is the old disc that played was just a plain list of files. my Subaru player either won't read m4a or can't handle the folders, sound right?

However on the CD, they play fine but are in cda format in a plain list, no folders

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Check the radio User Manual. It should list the file types that are supported as well as any other limitations such as folders or the number of files.

As this is a car stereo, I'm surprised it supports DVD at all. Most only support CD.

It could also be a media issue. Car players can be very finicky about the brand of discs they support.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

When you check the properties of that drive, is there a recording tab?

Though deleting the filter driver references can sometimes help a problem, those entries are often there for a reason. Some burning tools install filter drivers for their own use and, once installed, will throw an error for the device when missing. The burning functionality of that program is also lost. The program needs to be reinstalled to restore the missing driver functionality.

4. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

After playing with it for a few hrs, I think it's a combination of iTunes (nor WMP) not supporting DVD music for non mp3 and the car's dvd player only accepting mp3 or wma. it's printed on the front of the CD player.

WMP and iTunes will write to CD in cda format which oddly the dvd reader will play even though it's not stated as such. If the disc has ma4 files, it's a no-go. I've reconciled to using CD's. I could probably convert the ma4's to mp3 with the right util but don't want the associated sound quality degradation.

Thanks for the reply!

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

All DVD readers read cda since that is the standard format of audio CD's you buy retail. If you can burn that way, it will insure the most compatibility with devices. In burning apps, if you choose "audio CD", it will burn them as cda (which is really wav with the file ending changed).

I suppose that some devices may differ on their ability to play DVD's with audio on them, though that doesn't seem right somehow. If they play CD's, they should play DVD's, too (if it is really a DVD reader and not just CD).

6. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

I reinstalled iTunes and it now burns. As I said above, seems I probably need to live with only burning to CD unless I go back to mp3's.

After the reinstall, the upper filter is back but no lower. I don't care; have no idea what they do. Recall the original problem was the system (Win7) could not see the optical drive at all but XP still could. I only boot to XP probably 1, 2 times/year. I assumed it was after installing/updating iTunes on Win7 a week or so ago that it broke, but could have been something else-have no idea what as no major work done lately.

thanks for the reply!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1098411

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice