1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Busted Network Card

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ShenaniganS, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ShenaniganS

ShenaniganS Thread Starter

I recently decided to have a home network. I friend gave me a Kingston network card that didnt work on my comp but on his it did. I went out and bought a D-Link DFE-530TX+ PCI Adapter. It works fine but the ethernet cable i have bought for it keeps showing that its disconneted. I have good to buy 3 cables already. I have gotten a CAT 5 and a CAT 6 but keeps showing its disconnected. Any hits, tips, suggestions, answers pleaz reply!

Thanx in advance:D

On a side not, can viruses,worms and any other thing spread through a home network?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Where is the cable showing that it's disconnected? Sorry, not following your post, and yes, I think viruses and worms can spread thru a home network. Are you using a router or hub? Cat 5 I think, is a cross over cable to run between 2 computers, wondering about the 6 too (not into the names of them ;) ), so that may not work at all, unless that is how you've connected things.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, a number of the new worms spread very easily through network shares, and very quickly too! :D The boys at Bristol Myers are still chasing the BLASTER bugs in the network, weeks after the initial infection! :D

4. ShenaniganS

Thanx for the reply AcaCandy

Sorry for the poor description. Well im running windows xp pro, and on the bottom right corner theres a lil comp and theres a lil x over it. I check on both comps that are hooked up and it says "network cable unplugged". The cables are pluged into the network card and thats it. I have no router or hub. I dont know what to do. The network card works fine since its being read by the motherboard but the cables dont seem to work on the network card. I used a CAT 6 to hook up my modem to the other computer i have and the cable worked. The lil x was gone but if i but the CAT 6 into the network card and to the other comp it wont work, i get the x thingy over the lil comp in the bottom right corner.

Thanx for the help!:)

5. ~Candy~

Between 2 computers, you need a crossover cable.......that I know for certain. The ones you have may be patch cables......johnwill, where are you????? You know this stuff ;)

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yep, a crossover cable, and if you used the cable to connect a cable modem and a PC, it's not a crossover cable. :) FWIW, a crossover cable swaps the signals on pins 1&2 and 3&6 with the other pair, useful info if you're building one. Also, for a complete cable, (though the other pair isn't used for 100mbit connections), you'd also swap the pairs on 4&5 and 7&8.

7. ShenaniganS

I went out today and got the crossover cable like AcaCandy suggested. And it did work. The lil x over the comp icon was gone. I have my home network up and running now. But i have encountered a problem now. I can file share on the network. As soon as i enter the shared files folder a windows comes up and says that it has encountered a problem and needs to shut down. My explorer.exe shuts down for a few secs and then comes up again. Any ideas?

Also i just got the w32.spybot.worm. My norton keeps catching it and deleting it. I have tried all the suggetions in the security forum but i cant find any files infected when i run the full system scan in safe mode. Dont know whats going on. Help!

Thanx:D

Speak of the devil. My norton just picked up the virus yet again

C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS\OPEN_ME.exe

I dont even have a documents folder my all users folder! What gives!?!?!?!?!:confused:

8. ~Candy~

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

Download that, run it and post your scan log and someone can help you.......probably not me or anyone that hangs out here, but we can get you moved to security after it's posted....I know just enough to be dangerous with those logs :D

9. ShenaniganS

Thanx for the site AcaCandy, but i did that to (except for that part about posting it up). Ill take your advice and post the log on the security forum and ill see what happens.

Thanx a bunch for all your help!:D

10. ~Candy~

You are welcome, I'll mark this one solved, you might just post that log to the one you have running now in security.....

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166901

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice