1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Buying a computer case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DangerousKitten, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DangerousKitten

DangerousKitten Thread Starter

I have a gaming computer which is slightly past warranty. A while ago, I got a new motherboard and found out that it could not be attached to the case. Since then, I have been using the computer without the components all being attached. This has recently caused it to start vibrating, which I assume is bad. I know that I need a new case, but I'm not sure how to start.
    Basically, do all cases work for all computers? I have a 750w power supply. Do I need a special case for that? Will my motherboard fit in any case? I have a crossfire video card setup. Will any case have enough slots for that? Thanks.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What kind of gaming computer did you buy that doesn't have a standard ATX case?

4. dtpollock

dtpollock

First Name:
    Duncan
    Hi DangerousKitten

As long as you take your system specifications to a reputable computer company, they should be able to point you in the right direction as to what size case you require.

Best of luck with it, and please don't hesitate to come back if you have any further questions

5. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Yes, I'd have to agree that you should be able to use any case that will accept a full size motherboard, so you have hundreds to chose from, but you probably won't need a special case for your power supply. You should be aware, however, that some cases that have a bottom mounted power supply may have problems with the cable length on some power supplies. Generally, though, this only happens with cut-rate power supplies, and in a pinch you can get extenders.

I think the first thing you want to do is pick a price range for a case. After that, it's a matter of checking out the selection. Antec, Corsair, and Thermaltake all have decent cases that won't bust the bank. Rosewill has a couple of cases that have been well reviewed, but my experiences with Rosewill products have been abysmal; though I seem to be in the minority. Basically, I think you can get a very nice case for a hundred bucks or less, if you don't have to have all sorts of Captain Billy Whizzbang features.

6. DangerousKitten

DangerousKitten Thread Starter

Thanks for your help.

7. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Certainly! If you have any other questions about specific models, brands, or whatever, feel free to keep posting to this thread.

EDIT: Mostly, these days, I do most of my builds in Antec 300 cases. That would be the basic case without LED fans or other useless crap. They cool very well, and it's easy to filter all the air intakes. Good fit and finish. But, you might want something a little different.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!