1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Buying a new hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by r01axb, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. r01axb

r01axb Thread Starter

Hello, I have a 10 gb hard drive on my computer, I'm looking to upgrade, what do I look for when purchasing a new hard drive as far as compatibility goes?
    On my case it says hard drive ultra DMA/66

I been browsing sites for Hard drives and I don't see hard drives that say DMA or 66 all I see is ATA and 100 or 133, If I buy these will they be compatible?

Thank you.

2. n2gun

n2gun

Yes they will be compatible with your computer. You may find that the size will be limited by the bios. Computers a couple years old are limited to the size they see. I believe it is 32 gig. A bios update will usually take care of that if it is a problem. Caution must be taken with doing a bios update as if done wrong you will not be able to boot the computer.

3. r01axb

r01axb Thread Starter

Thank you very much, I just ordered a Maxtor 30 GB hard drive,I hope a 30 gig will be recognized by the BIOS and I won't need to update, although I will be going from DMA 66 to ATA/133, will this require an update to the BIOS?

Thank you.

4. zeddy

zeddy

As n2gun says the UDMA drives will be backward compatible, check out your mobo model and version number and look at the manufacturer site to see what is supported in terms of disk size and whether you need a bios update for the GB size you choose.

5. r01axb

r01axb Thread Starter

I downloaded a manual of the motherboard, theres nothing in it about upgrading a hard drive, the motherboard is a Florida-TG maybe somebody knows if a 30GB ATA/133 is compatible with this motherboard, thank you.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Do not worry about about about the DMA/ATA specs of the drive. This is the maximum transfer speed betweeen the computer and harddrive - ATA 66 - 66Mb/s; ATA 133 - 133Mb/s. The data will trnasfer as fast as the slowest component in the connection - if your mobo can only do 66Mb/s, then that will be the maximum transfer speed. It will still work, just a little slower - in reality you would notice the difference between 66 and 133Mb/s.

As for the size, the limits were 8.4Gb, 32GB, and 127Gb. Since you had a 10Gb drive(and assuming it it was fully recongised as 10GB) then the 30Gb drive should work fine.

Here's a few tips, jumper the new drive correctly - Master/Slave settings - you'll see a diagram on the drive for instructions. Master is if the drive is the only one or the primary drive on the IDE cable, Slave is for a secondary drive on the IDE cable when there already is an existing drive set as Master. You should also use a 80 wire IDE cable to achieve speeds of 66/100/133Mhz. The 80 wire cable has finer and twice as many wires as the standard 40 wire cable as one the CD-ROM drive, it'll also likely have one blue, one gray, and one black connection as opposed to 3 black connections.

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What did you pay for it, if you don't mind me asking? The larger drives after rebates are sometimes better priced than the older 30 gig drives.

Also, the drive can be partioned to get around the bios limitation too.

8. r01axb

r01axb Thread Starter

Hello, I ordered it yesterday at 1 pm and it arrived today at 10 am!

That was fast, I got it from amazon:

1 Maxtor L01J030 30 GB Hard Driv $66.99 1 $66.99

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Item Subtotal: $66.99
    Shipping & Handling: $5.58

Super Saver Discount: -$5.58

Promotional Certificate: - $30.30

Total: $36.69

Paid by Visa: $36.69

I really don't need a big drive, and I don't like rebates, this was a really good deal, I checked ebay and they mostly have used drives, they had 20 gb hard drives selling for $40-50 plus shipping on top of that, I got a brand new 30gb drive for 36.69 shipped in 21 hours! no need to worry about any rebates, I was surprised that it shipped so fast, I choose free shipping, next to it it said might take up to 14 days, I got $30.00 off by signing up for their no fee credit card.

Thanks all.

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Alright then, we'll mark this one solved. If you have any problems setting it up, start a new thread.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!