1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Buying advice on desktop with some atypical questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kmalik, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kmalik

kmalik Thread Starter

I am looking to buy a new desktop, and hope I could get your recommendation as well as ideas for accomplishing a couple of things:
    • Good source(s) for buying a desktop in the US. I normally buy on the web, but am wondering if I should give local MicroCenter etc. a try.
    • I am junking my old Dell Dimension 8100 desktop as it has too little RAM, but seems like a bad place to sink more money into buying expensive RAM for it. However, I installed a new 180GB hard disk (internal) a couple of years ago. Would like to rescue/reuse that in the new system. What's the best/easiest way to do that? Kind of worried opening the new system as it arrives and possibly nullifying the warranty.
    • I have a fair amount of software including XP Professional installed on my old desktop. Some of this software I do not have a CD for and I would like to preserve. Instead of paying for software for the new machine (including Microsoft OS), is there a way to just use my old hard disk for the OS as well as other software.

I'd appreciate any advice you might be able to give me.

Thanks a lot.

kavindra

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    1. Never heard of MicroCenter but you sure can stop into a local place and see what they offer in terms of price, service, and just see how you like them.

2. If they warranty prevents you from adding hardware then look to another company for the computer purchase. You should be allowed to add hardware without affecting the warranty unless by adding the hardware you damage the computer. This is a good question to ask the store/website.

You can also buy an external USB enclosure and put the drive into that.

3. If you don't have the CD and License then you'll need to buy new software. Not only that but if its OEM software that came with the computer then it can't be legally transfered to another computer. Microsoft is also cracking down on pirated copies of Windows XP Pro.

3. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

MicroCenter is a decent store, and I'd rather buy a system locally if the option exist.

Ask the store you purchase it from if it will void the warranty. They may offer to install the drive for you for free with purchase.

If you don't have the XP disk and license, then you may not be able to use it on the new machine. For the rest of the software, I'd either use AlohaBob's PC relocator or desktop DNA to move them over to the new machine if your missing the disks.

4. kmalik

kmalik Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for both responses. I'll look into AlohaBob and desktop DNA.

Triple6: Nothing in my post suggested that my XP Pro was pirated and it isn't. Indeed, for XP Pro - I even have the CD, and my question there was more as to why I should pay for it again in buying the new hardware.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    FYI, if you end up deciding to buy a computer from the likes of Dell or HP they won't likely allow you to buy one without buying a new Windows license, this is another advantage of buying locally as they should be able to sell you a computer without Windows.

I never directly accused you of of pirating, I thought it was worth mentioning. And if its a Dell OEM CD/License then it must stay with the Dell or the system it was sold with.

6. kmalik

kmalik Thread Starter

Thanks! I posted a thread with the hijakthis log to see if I could alliviate the virtual memory problem that's prompting me to replacing this system. If that does not lead to a solution - I'm going follow your suggestion and try a local store to see if they can install the OS from my CD or let me buy without the OS installed.

Sorry about the sensitivity on the piracy comment. I realize that you did not accuse me of priating, but was (perhaps over-) sensitive to that even being a possibility. No offense intended.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!