1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Buying new computer HELP!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shadow Kolezar, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shadow Kolezar

Shadow Kolezar Thread Starter

kk Well, I just moved and was looking for a new computer. I really liked this one I saw at BestBuy.. It was a AMD Phenom 8400 Processor with 3GB RAM and 6150SE graphics card(crappy but replaceable). Only problem.. It runs Vista.. I've tried finding a way to build the same computer with XP Pro but haven't found a way.. BestBuy said I could buy the tower and then XP seperate then switch operating systems but. I want your guys' opinions please. If you have a site where I could build this or know a way please respond.

Thanks in advance!

2. Shadow Kolezar

If anything a site for building a tower would be nice :) Otherwise please respond soon.. Gotta get this comp before weekend.. also does Vista rune Microsoft .NET? I program with Visual Basics, Java, etc so..

Anyways I'll be patient now

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Any links to the Best Buy site to get any more information on what you are planning to get?

Can you tell us how you plan to use the computer?

If this is a fairly new model, you may want to make sure that you can get XP compatible drivers for all the hardware in it.

4. Shadow Kolezar

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8775756&type=product&id=1204331848044

That's tower

Yeah I Play Counter Strike:Source (I maintain a clan and server)
    I play Diablo2 LOD also... I run mIRC and I run microsoft .NET or whatever it is. It has Java, Visual Basics, C++ etc.. that's all I really need it for... I'd like to buy some newer comp games and my parents use it for e-mail.. nothing complicated.

5. matthew0155

matthew0155

first off 3gb of ram is just stupid. Second, why dont you go to your local computer store and put one together the people at the store will defenatly know how to build one, and all the parts you need. It will be easy if you just buy all the parts off the shelf, if you dont want anything fancy (which if your buying a computer from best buy you dont) you wont have to order any parts which could take a while. You will probably save money and get something better. Then you can put any os you want in it.

6. matthew0155

matthew0155

i also play css: doesnt require too good of a computer, what clan is yours?

7. Shadow Kolezar

So what kind of store could I go to for that... I don't think BestBuy lets you.. I live by Circuit City and a few othe places

my clan is DHF (Drunk Hacking Fools) just got server a month ago... no we don't hack just are often accused. What's wrong with 3GB RAM besides the fact it is kinda random lol.

8. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

I believe he meant a small privately owned PC store in your area.
    Not a big chain store like Bestbuy or CCity.

Would having Vista be that much of a problem with the stuff you're doing?

9. Shadow Kolezar

well I still didn't get a very definitive answer so can anyone else help.. if you need a link or anything just PM me

10. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Not too sure what the problem is with Vista. Tried it and dont like it, or just heard bad things? And no, nothing wrong with 3Gb mem at all. :)

11. Shadow Kolezar

Yeah I knew he meant a small computer store but I don't know of one around here :(

And it would be a big deal to me because I play Cs:s and Diablo a lot... for Diablo I am an Admin in a mIRC community and for Cs:s I have/run a clan and server.. couldn't do that if I couldn't play them lol. If I didn't need to run these things I could maybe learn to live without them but.. I'd rather just build this setup with XP Pro, throw in a graphics card, and get back to writing scripts lol.

P.S if this is double post im sorry this laptop is like 7 years old so idk what happened

12. Shadow Kolezar

hmmm how much harm would it do just to buy it and switch the os to XP Pro? would it impact the computer performance severely?

13. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There's no harm, but it simply might not work. You have to find Windows XP drivers for all the hardware components. If Gateway doesn't have them on its website, you have to hunt third-party sites for each individual component, and those aren't guaranteed to work.

14. Shadow Kolezar

:( lol why is this so difficult... does anyone know a system similar to this that comes with xp pro and is under $600? if so speak up lol

Well I've been Googleing and all I can find is that it always comes with Vista... Wish they would make it more compatible

15. Shadow Kolezar

well goodnight all and thanks for the help

leave me suggestions if you want
    thanks in advance

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!