Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: buying new desktop

725 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  TNARNG08 
#1 ·
I am trying to decide between a I-5 12 mb ddr3 or dual core quad 8 mb ddr3 desktop system. The 1-5 has wireless but he quad does not. So I would have to buy a usb dongle. I am concern about the connection for the usb dongle. My computer will be located in room upstairs directly above my router. There would be a $60 savings if I get the quad core plus a $100 usb dongle verse the getting the I-5 wireless computer. I do not game but do research, and multi-tasking with Microsoft office.

#2 ·
maybe worth comparing the CPU bench mark performance
you need the exact CPU model
i5 comes in a few different versions
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

The quad core may be a lot slower or cheaper CPU and hence the saving

Also as you say a USB adapter may not be as good as a PCI adapter
it would very much depend on the quality of the signal where the actual aerial will be located
Do you have any other PCs - you could test the signal in that location using xirrus program

Not sure what country you are in - but $100 seems a lot for a wireless USB adapter - they are only a few quid in the UK

#3 ·
=Do you have any other PCs - you could test the signal in that location using xirrus program
it would be easier to check the WIFI signal strength on the second floor with a Smart Phone---
Android or Apple----just go where U want to put the computer & look on the phones WIFI page--
see if it detects the WIFI signal from your router & the signal strength.
if it shows full strength on the phones wifi meter then you should have plenty of signal to run your computer
in that location with either a PCI card or Dongle--which ever you choose

#4 ·
maybe worth comparing the CPU bench mark performance
you need the exact CPU model
i5 comes in a few different versions
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

The quad core may be a lot slower or cheaper CPU and hence the saving

Also as you say a USB adapter may not be as good as a PCI adapter
it would very much depend on the quality of the signal where the actual aerial will be located
Do you have any other PCs - you could test the signal in that location using xirrus program

Not sure what country you are in - but $100 seems a lot for a wireless USB adapter - they are only a few quid in the UK
Dell Inspiron 3847 I-5 4440 12 GB DDR 3, 1 TB hard drive wireless
Dell OptiPlex 780 Desktop SFF Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.66 ghz, 8 GB DDR3 250 GB
from what I was reading to get best signal you needed to get a good usb yea they run from $16 to over $100

#5 ·
it would be easier to check the WIFI signal strength on the second floor with a Smart Phone---
Android or Apple----just go where U want to put the computer & look on the phones WIFI page--
see if it detects the WIFI signal from your router & the signal strength.
if it shows full strength on the phones wifi meter then you should have plenty of signal to run your computer
in that location with either a PCI card or Dongle--which ever you choose
I check the signal with my phone signal is very strong upstairs same as by the router downstairs.
I multi task doing research and using office programs for my job and home. Will the 12 mg make a difference over the 8 mg. I listed both computers in my response to the first response to my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.