1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: buying new desktop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TNARNG08, May 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TNARNG08

TNARNG08 Thread Starter

I am trying to decide between a I-5 12 mb ddr3 or dual core quad 8 mb ddr3 desktop system. The 1-5 has wireless but he quad does not. So I would have to buy a usb dongle. I am concern about the connection for the usb dongle. My computer will be located in room upstairs directly above my router. There would be a $60 savings if I get the quad core plus a $100 usb dongle verse the getting the I-5 wireless computer. I do not game but do research, and multi-tasking with Microsoft office.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    maybe worth comparing the CPU bench mark performance
    you need the exact CPU model
    i5 comes in a few different versions
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

The quad core may be a lot slower or cheaper CPU and hence the saving

Also as you say a USB adapter may not be as good as a PCI adapter
    it would very much depend on the quality of the signal where the actual aerial will be located
    Do you have any other PCs - you could test the signal in that location using xirrus program

Not sure what country you are in - but $100 seems a lot for a wireless USB adapter - they are only a few quid in the UK

3. jamesx121

jamesx121

it would be easier to check the WIFI signal strength on the second floor with a Smart Phone---
    Android or Apple----just go where U want to put the computer & look on the phones WIFI page--
    see if it detects the WIFI signal from your router & the signal strength.
    if it shows full strength on the phones wifi meter then you should have plenty of signal to run your computer
    in that location with either a PCI card or Dongle--which ever you choose

4. TNARNG08

TNARNG08 Thread Starter

Dell Inspiron 3847 I-5 4440 12 GB DDR 3, 1 TB hard drive wireless
    Dell OptiPlex 780 Desktop SFF Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.66 ghz, 8 GB DDR3 250 GB
    from what I was reading to get best signal you needed to get a good usb yea they run from $16 to over $100

5. TNARNG08

TNARNG08 Thread Starter

I check the signal with my phone signal is very strong upstairs same as by the router downstairs.
    I multi task doing research and using office programs for my job and home. Will the 12 mg make a difference over the 8 mg. I listed both computers in my response to the first response to my post.

6. TNARNG08

TNARNG08 Thread Starter

ok I compared the benchmarks the I5 came out far better thanks

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The 3847 is a more modern and faster desktop and has a full-size case, so that would be my choice. (y)

-----------------------------------------------------------

8. TNARNG08

TNARNG08 Thread Starter

Yes I ordered it last night thanks for the confirmation.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147947

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice