1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Buzzing Noise and High CPU use

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jp1203, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jp1203

jp1203 Thread Starter

On the first IBM listed in my computer specs, I notice a buzzing noise coming from the computer when I scroll. Also, the CPU runs quite high and things are generally slow. When I am switching tabs in firefox, or loading pages, the CPU goes up to 30-70 %. This is a 2 GHz. My last was half that, and it maybe hit 8 when doing things like this.

I have no idea with the buzzing noise, but my question for the CPU use is this:

At the moment the machine has 256 MB RAM. I am planning on putting it to 512. Will this help? Also, the processor runs at as much as 98 degrees. Is this too hot? My PIII runs at 75-80.

2. jhoegl

jhoegl

Generally the CPU will be unstable at the equivalent of 70 degrees celsius, I think thats 180 degrees fahrenheit. Anyways, the buzzing sound is probly your hard drive hard at work because the computer is needing to use swap space on the HD for "temporary ram storage". Id say some extra ram might work, but what programs do you have running in the background on your laptop. You have a lot of them, or minimal/none?

3. jp1203

jp1203 Thread Starter

It's a desktop, and I have:

AVG
    VNC Server
    WINAMP
    Adaptec CD Burning (Tray Icon)

That's basically it. At the moment I'm using 324 MB total memory(according to the task manager) so I bet it could stand an upgrade.

4. jhoegl

jhoegl

yup, its using swap space for that extra memory it needs. Thats probly the hard drive. Is it an older hard drive? SATA drives tend not to do that anymore :)

5. jp1203

jp1203 Thread Starter

Yeah...ATA. Old Deskstar. I think the 75 GB Deskstars were referred to as Deathstars because they lived such short lives.

The 40 GBs seem to have better reps.

Thanks,
    J.S.

6. jhoegl

jhoegl

Quick note on this, try very hard to get the Ram from the same manufacturer with the same ns timings.

I have had experiences where I get ram from another manufacturer and they dont work well (random blue screens).

7. jp1203

jp1203 Thread Starter

okay, I'll look at the RAM when I'm ready to buy it to see what kind it is. Everest says Infineon, but it's been wrong before.

Thanks,
    Joe S.

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The "buzzing" on scroll usually indicates that the speaker cables are physically too close to the video cable and some induction is taking place - separate them as much as is possible.

9. jp1203

jp1203 Thread Starter

The noise is from the computer itself though. Not the speakers.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488920

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice