[SOLVED BY DEFAULT!] reinstalling win98

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
OHHH.. wait a second.. what's a "legacy" slot?? I only knew there was the PCI and the ISA.

Isn't the middle one a PCI.. and the one on the left is a ISA.. but what is the one on the right? the original one?? I am sooooo confused?! good thing I am not the one here giving advice.. :(

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Looks like the modem from the machine upstairs is an ISA modem too, and I don't think that old thing even has a PCI slot in it, so she's not going to be able to test the PCI modem in that one.....and I doubt we can talk her into putting it into the newer machine she is talking to us on :eek:

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Originally posted by Peter_Brown:
Good morning all,

Where are you getting all of these old modems MB, its like a museum!!!!

Pete you don't even wanna see my closet :p

yeah,
i have an old one knocking about,
i would like to try it out one day.

Its an old standalone black box,
with control knobs on it, and switches and lights.

Havent a clue how to work it ....

I think that fittings reffered to as 'legacy'
just means that they are the type that were previously used
sometimes included by design, sometimes added by users.

Many mobos have the older black slots in addition
to the newer white ones, but newer mobos mostly only
have the white ones.

That is correct John, the PCI is the newer faster current standard and you would spend twice as much trying to find a legacy card than you would getting current standards.

The cards can only go in one place, if it is a PCI card it will snap-in quite comfortably, now if it goes in and the computer cannot boot, try that same card in another machine, if that machine cannot boot throw the card away. Slowly and methodically through a process of elimination you will arrive at the culprit.

:) john1 is correct. In most instances legacy refers to ISA slots. In addition, you can generally tell whether a particular card is an ISA or PCI by looking at the notch on bottom front of the card. An ISA slot usually has a narrow slot while a PCI has a wide slot. Another way is, if you look closely at the two cards, you will notice that on a PCI card the screw that attaches it to the case is in line with the card but on an ISA card it is slightly offset.

The right and left modems in MB's latest picture are both ISA. The only difference is that the one on the left has the additional blank (for lack of a better word) slot at the back for stability purposes.

i don't figure i could put a pci in a white slot cannnnnnnnn iiiiiiiiiiiiiii??????????????????
I think this has a lot to do with the problem also.

Just some observations.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
KW, I 'think' MB has the PCI and the ISA wording incorrect. I don't think you can even get a PCI card into an ISA slot, can you :confused:

I can quickly identify them, the only problem is the naming convention, I sometimes mix the two up, PCI and ISA, then add the newer boards with AGP and minus the ISA and you find yourself in PC He double hockey sticks...hehehe

The two cards at left and right,
actually look similar enough,
they are the same approximate size,
and the connectors look like about the same spacing.
The shapes of the card itself should prevent them
from being exchanged, these shapes are called 'wards'.

If the card were carefully 'trimmed' then one might
be tempted to try it in the slot,
however,
the connections to the connectors are most unlikely
to be as required.
In fact it may be deeper than just the connections,
the method of operation may be different.
It may use or 'talk to' different parts of the PC.

Please don't try things in the wrong slots.

John :)

They will only fit in one or the other any attempt to force the wrong card in will be unsuccessful.

Gotta run, Good luck, just go slow and test each combination, rmember what you did and plod forward.

MaryBeth look at the gold tabs on the bottom of the new modem. Do they still look OK? Also, you are there, we are not, can you please verify if that was a shadow or if it was something on the plug itself. Could be dust, could be a burnt spot, but pictures are sometimes deceiving and you would be able to tell much better than we could from here ;) If it's not a shadow then that might be your problem.

Might be easier for you to just get that USR external modem for 5 bucks. I better check it out again to make sure that it's not USB, I still have a bump on my head from the last time Candy *smacked* me about the other one :D

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Just in case anyone cares :D

Office Max has a sound card and modem this week free after rebates :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online