Solved: Bytes in Bad Sectors

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

golddust

I have an old IBM Aptiva that hubby uses for the internet now and then. It used to be our main computer until it starting showing bytes in bad sectors (60,000 as a matter of fact). I stopped using it for anything important and don't have anything saved on the hard drive figuring it could crash at any time. That was over two years ago. Today it has over 200,000 bytes in bad sectors :eek: and is still chugging along (I'm on it right now as a matter of fact while my HP is in the shop :eek: ). How bad does it have to get before it just goes 'kaput'?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hard to say, but you've pretty much figured it out....don't save anything important to it.

Quite frankly, at the low cost of replacement hard drives, I'm at a loss as to why you'd torture yourself with that one.

golddust

AcaCandy said:
Hard to say, but you've pretty much figured it out....don't save anything important to it.

Quite frankly, at the low cost of replacement hard drives, I'm at a loss as to why you'd torture yourself with that one.
Not torturing myself. As I said, this is not our main computer. Just hanging on to it till it dies. It's not exactly a speedy machine at 300 mhz. It's a good short term replacement as long as it works. My HP is getting a new hard drive and motherboard at HP's expense (HP is replacing these items for the second time in two years and this dinosaur is a long time off the warranty and still chugging along - go figure!) I was just curious if anyone had any ideas as to how many bad sectors a hard drive could get and still work.

Triple6

Rob
A bad sector is a defect, one is too many. Bad Sectors cause data loss and if fairly widespread then the drive will likely be performing slower then its nominal rate. Your drive is junk.

There's no number because its a problem and no one waits to see how long it will last, it could be forever or the next second when the drive becomes a paper weight.

Ask yourself how long you would stay in a boat that had a hole in the bottom that was getting larger?

golddust

Triple6 said:
A bad sector is a defect, one is too many. Bad Sectors cause data loss and if fairly widespread then the drive will likely be performing slower then its nominal rate. Your drive is junk.

There's no number because its a problem and no one waits to see how long it will last, it could be forever or the next second when the drive becomes a paper weight.

Ask yourself how long you would stay in a boat that had a hole in the bottom that was getting larger?
I realize what you are saying, my question was posed mostly out of curiosity. As I've already said, this isn't a computer I'm counting on. It's outdated and will see the trashpile the day it actually dies. Actually, it moves along at pretty good speed for its power - 300 mhz, but the racket its made for a couple of years - which is why I got a new one - sounds like it could go at any time, and yet it doesn't. Thanks for the input.

well, an old hdd of mine has over 500,000 bad bytes on it, yes FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND. scary, yes, but its still going strong. so those little buggers cant take a surprising beating beforce going into the coffin.

golddust

obvious said:
well, an old hdd of mine has over 500,000 bad bytes on it, yes FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND. scary, yes, but its still going strong. so those little buggers cant take a surprising beating beforce going into the coffin.

Amazing isn't it? My Hewlett Packard is only two years old and this is its third - that's right third - hard drive. Just got it back today after a couple of months of fighting with HP. After I reported them to FL Consumer Affairs, they jumped right on fixing it - at their expense including shipping FedEX overnight delivery both ways from Florida to California. Meanwhile that old
Aptiva is still running with 200,000+ bytes in bad sectors and a grinding noise that will scare the life out of you.

Triple6,

I don't know for a fact, but I think the Bad Sector situation is generally not as big a deal as you may think (along with the majority of other folks).

In the "good old days" HD's physical unit of measure was the Track, rather than the Sector. It wasn't uncommon to get a brand new unit with some "flagged" tracks.

The next storage unit UP was the Cylinder, consisting of numerous tracks. There was at least one Cylinder allocated as "Spares" for bad tracks on any drive.

When a Track was flagged as failing, the data was moved to a Spare, and the Record chain pointer was rewritten to jump to the spare and then back in line to the next logical record.

I have to "GUESS" that a similar routine is still in place even with the newer disk technology and use of Sectors? :confused:

If this is the case, then the only 'degradation' is the out of physical order Read, which generally happens frequently anyway the way disk extents are pieced together.

Now the GRINDING NOISE is another story altogether.

golddust

winbob said:
Triple6, ... Now the GRINDING NOISE is another story altogether.
Yeah, it's been doing that for the last two years. You can tell it's the hard drive and I figured it would wear itself away by now - but it keeps chugging along, noise included.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online