1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: C drive MB's keep disappearing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by clq3, Nov 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. clq3

clq3 Thread Starter

One of my least used computers (Compaq with 40 GB harddrive, XP operating system) keeps losing memory after I delete programs and documents. For example if I delete 200 MB of info the C drive may only show 100 MB deleted and 10 minutes later the C drive shows 0 bytes. Where does this stuff go? If I attempt to delete more info the computer informs me that I don't have enough space to handle the deletion. I've tried to remove my e-mail folders either to an external HD or new desk top folder and then burn that folder to a CD but once again there is not enough C drive space to permit this. Even though I have Norton Security I am wondering if I have a virus. At this point I can't even get online.

A friend told me uninstall XP and that would remove any viruses but I need to capture my e-mail files and some others first. I've gone through disk cleanup and every other thing I can think of. I can't remove larger programs like Microsoft Office since the space requirements won't permit it, but even if I could the new C drive space would just disappear again. Any suggestions?

2. Sponsor

3. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

If you're up for spending some money on this, buy a larger hard disk and a copy of Acronis True Image and use it to clone your system on to the new disk. Some other possibilities for a cure include turning off the Recycle Bin so deleted files go straight out the window, clearing out all the rubbish that XP stores from updates and security fixes and using CCleaner and ATF Cleaner to find and delete different levels of clutter.

To switch recycling off, right click the Recycle Bin icon and go to Properties then tick the "Do not move files to the Recycle Bin box. Empty the bin.

In My Computer>Tools>View menu, tick to Show Hidden Files and untick Hide Protected Files, accept the warning and click Apply then OK. Go to the Windows folder and delete all the files that show up at the top of the list with a $ symbol except the first one. Then go to Windows\Software Distribution\Download folder and delete the entire contents.

To find CCleaner, go to http://www.piriform.com and ATF Cleaner comes from http://www.atribune.org.

Finally, if you have Hibernation set, untick it and go to Control Panel>System>System Restore and turn it off. Restart the computer and you should have gained almost 4Gb. Defragment the disk and restart again then start CCleaner. In the Cleaner options, tick Wipe free space and let that run - it may take some time. When it finishes, untick that option or it will run every time. One more restart and things should be better.

4. clq3

clq3 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I won't have time to work on you suggestions until Tuesday so I'' let you know then how things work out.

5. moper

moper

Have you empied the Norton 'Protected Recycle Bin'?

moper

6. clq3

clq3 Thread Starter

How do I empty the Norton protected recycle bin. I've looked in the Norton security suite but can't find anything on this subject.

7. clq3

clq3 Thread Starter

How do I find the windows\software distribtion\download folder?

8. clq3

clq3 Thread Starter

I found the windows software dis folder Thanks

9. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

10. clq3

clq3 Thread Starter

Thanks for everything, Saga Lout. It worked. Chuck

11. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

You're welcome and well done for sorting it. You might like to mark your thread as solved.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/962287