1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] C: drive name change

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by sandw, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sandw

sandw Thread Starter

2-3 weeks ago I downloaded 2 free programs, Quicktime and Shockwave. One of them required that I give a volume number to Drive C: Since C is the third letter I entered 3. Now when I open My Computer on the Desktop, Drive C: is labeled Vol 3 [C:]. Since then all my programs seem to work, my internet and e-mail work, but if I try to open the My Document folder (from the desktop or from C:>My Documents) my computer freezes immediately and I have to reset or shut down manually to restart. I don't know if the name change is responsible but I would like to rename Drive C: to Drive C:. Can I just delete the My Documents folder and then make a new one? How do I change the name back? I have Win98 with updates, 512MB SDRam. Will be happy to supply any other info you require. Many thanks!!

2. prospect

prospect

Welcome, sandw
    I don't know too much about this labeling thing, but if ya go to your c: then right click on it, then go to properties. What doe's it say there?
    You mite want to rename it LOCAL DISK and see what happens. I never had any problems with Quick Time, but the other one I don't know anything about it.

Prospect

3. RandyG

RandyG

Neither one of them should have required a volume label be applied to your C drive. Also having a volume label should not cause the problem you are experiencing.

It could very well be indicative of another problem, and the donwload and label was coincidental.

If you want to change the label of your C drive, then double-click the My Computer icon and then right-click your C drive and select Properties. You should now be able to see the Label highlighted in Blue. Delete whatever is there and click on OK.

Your label has now been removed, and C drive will only display as C:

4. sandw

sandw Thread Starter

I had several replies to my problem and they were all helpful. The one sent by Randy G solved the problem completely. I really appreciate your efforts on my behalf. Thank you so much!!
    sandw

5. RandyG

RandyG

so changing the drive label back to standard C fixed the hanging problem?

Wow, I impress even myself!!:D;)

Anyway, glad to have helped!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!