1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: C drive reads F

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 1ets, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 1ets

1ets Thread Starter

I dumped my main harddrive and reinstalled Windows XP. Now my main drive is F and my second harddrive (used for storage) reads C. How can I correct this ??

2. norton850

norton850

There may be a way to edit the registry but if there is I don't know how to do it. The problem you have is a "feature" of XP. I think the "easiest" way to correct this is to disconnect all other drives -- the other HD, zip drives etc. just leave what you want as your boot drive, reformat and reinstall windows. Or to live with it. I did for quite some time.

3. 1ets

1ets Thread Starter

I was afraid that was going to be the answer to my query but.....many thanx anyway.

4. onsite

onsite

this happened to me with a customers PC , I think there was a memory card left in a card reader durring the install. The long and the short is , if you just installed windows, reinstall windows again. Maybe unplug the card reader, i tried the edit route, since just about all the registry keys are short cuts to HKLM AND HKEY USERS. It is a lot of editing, and may still not work right. I think the other drives it is easy, it is just changing the boot drive , from what i remember, could be remebering wrong.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is possible to change the system drive letter, however I recommend you do not do so. This is for two reasons.

1 It is an involved process that requires at least a moderate level of computer skill.

2 Most apps will need to be reinstalled anyway. This is because when you install an app, it installs files to it own folder AND it installs files to the winnt and or winnt/system32 folder. When the app looks for the .dll files on "F" and you have changed the path to "C" the app will not run.

The best advise was posted by norton; either reinstall or live with it. If you really really want to change a system drive letter, here are the instructions.

Change the System/Boot Drive Letter
    WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Make a full system backup of the computer and system state.
    Log on as an Administrator.
    Start Regedt32.exe.
    Go to the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

Click MountedDevices.
    On the Security menu, click Permissions.
    Verify that Administrators have full control. Change this back when you are finished with these steps.
    Quit Regedt32.exe, and then start Regedit.exe.
    Locate the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

Find the drive letter you want to change to (new). Look for "\DosDevices\C:".
    Right-click \DosDevices\C:, and then click Rename.

Note You must use Regedit instead of Regedt32 to rename this registry key.
    Rename it to an unused drive letter "\DosDevices\Z:".

This frees up drive letter C.
    Find the drive letter you want changed. Look for "\DosDevices\D:".
    Right-click \DosDevices\D:, and then click Rename.
    Rename it to the appropriate (new) drive letter "\DosDevices\C:".
    Click the value for \DosDevices\Z:, click Rename, and then name it back to "\DosDevices\D:".
    Quit Regedit, and then start Regedt32.
    Change the permissions back to the previous setting for Administrators (this should probably be Read Only).
    Restart the computer.

6. 1ets

1ets Thread Starter

Many thanx for all for their help.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I recommend the "start over" method. ;)

8. onsite

onsite

areed, i knew it was something, and a heavey reg edit like that may come back to haunt you.

9. 1ets

1ets Thread Starter

Thanx a lot guys. How do I mark my thread as completed ??

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can mark your own thread as solved using thread tools at the top of the page.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488162

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice