1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: "C" key to close an open window does not work

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by redoak, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten Thread Starter

I right click an open window and "close - -" appears, as in "XP." However, tapping the "C" key doesn't work. Using other keys does work; eg, "D" for delete and "Y" for yes. Why no response when using "C" for close? This is a bad change from "XP."

I have noted that a letter in the right click menu is not underlined in "7" as in "XP." However, using the "XP" keys still works, except for 'close.'

{redoak} :mad:

2. AnthonyLordi

AnthonyLordi

It's working fine for me, if you can't get it to work, you could just always use Alt + F4.

Hope this helps.

3. redoak

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to be slow in returning.

The two key approach does not work for me on my Toshiba laptop with Ws 7. It does on my Asus with "XP."

I'll try support at Toshiba when time permits. Maybe a MS help site, too.

What type computer are you using?

{redoak}

4. AnthonyLordi

AnthonyLordi

I've tried all 5 of my computers, and it works on all of them. 2 HP Desktops, 1 Dell Desktop, and 2 HP Laptops. All of which are running W7.

5. gfne

gfne

You can run sfc /scannow in a command window.

Seems like a DLL issue.

6. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

To turn on the underline, click Start, type Keyboard, click Change how your keyboard works under Control Panel.
    Check the box for Underline keyboard shortcuts and access keys.

If running SFC (note that SFC has to be run from an Elevated Prompt) doesn't fix anything, try this:
    Click Start, type cmd, when cmd.exe appears in the list, right click it and click Run as administrator
    Type the following and press Enter
    regsvr32 /i %systemroot%\system32\shell32.dll
    You should get a popup with this message:
    DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in C:\Windows\system32\shell32.dll succeeded.
    (C:\Windows may be different on your system depending on the Drive and folder name Windows is installed on)

7. redoak

"To turn on the underline, click Start, type Keyboard, click Change how your keyboard works under Control Panel.
    Check the box for Underline keyboard shortcuts and access keys."

The steps outlined did not follow along after "Change how - - - -." [See attachment for the dialog box that came up.] I also used "Support" inserting "Underline keyboard shortcuts and access keys," with the same result.

I used the Command prompt routine and this confirmation came up:
    DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in C:\Windows\system32\shell32.dll succeeded.
    Perhaps I typed the command you gave incorrectly. I had to guess where there might be spaces in the command. Could you indicate these somehow? Maybe with a 'carrot' (^)?

Do I need to remove the successful cmd, if it is not the one desired? If so, how?

{redoak}

Addendum: I just now began working with my Toshiba with Ws 7 after typing the above. The two key "alt-F4" for closing an open window now works!However, the underlining of a key in the right click menus does not appear, not can I close a window just with the "C" key after a right click.

Attached Files:

8. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Just need a space before and after /i, no other spaces.
    regsvr32 /i %systemroot%\system32\shell32.dll
    No need to remove anything, that just recreates the registry entries in case one or more had gotten corrupted. Apparently not the case here. Could be a different dll, or something else entirely. Have to see whet I can find.

Did you scroll the window down? There should be three more settings below Toggle keys. The OK | Cancel | Apply buttons are on the frame, not the window, so it's easy to miss the fact that it scrolls.

Attached Files:

9. redoak

Almost forgot I had this Thread 'open.' I did find the place to 'tic'.

Thanks for the help.

{redoak}

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/961381

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice