1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) C:\Windows\Media files corrupted

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by hansmax, Mar 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

Some of my C:\Windows\Media files appear to have been corrupted. When I try to preview sounds, some of them play and some don't. My Windows Startup sounds distorted. (I am running Windows XP Home). Can I restore them from my installation disk? What is the safest way to do this? I would appreciate any input.

2. mobo

mobo

Beforew you try that why not pop in a music cd and test it to see if its not the sound card first..

3. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure it's not the sound card. CD's work, and I am able to preview some sounds, just not all of them.

4. mobo

mobo

You can try just searching the cd for .wav files and if you can locate them then just try a copy /paste type scenario..

5. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

The search only located about 17 files, none of which are the files I need. It looks like I may be out of luck.

6. mobo

mobo

7. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion, mobo. I took a look and downloaded a few, but I'm having some trouble saving them to disk. The copy option on my QuickTime player is not active. I know this is pretty basic, but then again I'm a basic person.

8. mobo

mobo

Save them to your desktop for example then in control panel / sounds / click on the application you wish to customize then for the sound click "browse" and then click on the wav file of your choice.

9. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

No, I mean how do I save the files. I don't see a Save As option anywhere, and the copy option is grayed out.

10. mobo

mobo

Right click and save target as..

11. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, mobo. I was opening these things with Quick Time, so I just changed the file association to WinMedia Player and they save just fine. The files I've been finding are cool enough to prevent me from regretting that I've lost the Microsoft files. I wish I would have thought of this earlier. Thanks again, and have a good day.

12. mobo

mobo

Your welcome

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/210252

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice