1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: c:\windows\system32\drivers\atapi.sys is open or in use

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by eshaa16, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eshaa16

eshaa16 Thread Starter

I am trying to download SP3 for windows xp but the error message "c:\windows\system32\drivers\atapi.sys is open or in use by another application. close all other applications and click retry." I have uninstalled (and deleted the folders) all virtual drivers, and even the cd/dvd drive. I have scanned my computer for viruses, malware, and spyware and removed all threats as well. I have also tried moving "atapi" to a different folder and renaming it but when I try a message comes up that says it is in use. I have no more ideas and the internet solutions are not working or don't apply. I am very frusterated! Please help!:(

2. jackuars

jackuars

Solve 1:

This may occur if u have these programs installed
    Alcohol 120% ,Daemon tools
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884675/en-us
    Check this link to continue with ur installation..

Solve 2:

If you are unable to determine which 3rd-party software is causing this issue, then here is a method of installing SP3 that avoids most 3rd-party conflicts:​
    - download the stand-alone SP3 installer from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en and save it at a known place on hard disk.​
    - use "msconfig" to select "Diagnostic Startup", and re-boot Windows.​
    - dismiss "msconfig" when it pops up after restart.​
    - now launch the SP3 updater from the known place where you saved it.​
    - when the SP3 update has all finished (involves at least one restart), use "msconfig" to select "Normal Startup", and re-boot Windows.

Solve 3:

Check out this 3 step process:-

Step1:
    Go google "Unlocker Assistance" and download the software (or the link is provided below), it's free and very useful program. This program can unlock or kill or delete any files that's being used, no matter what situation the file is on, it can unlock the file or kill the process which is using it. (The icon looks like a star magic wand, that's the right program)
    Download the software below if you have trouble finding it.
    http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Step 2:
    After you install the program, then go in your My Computer, and right click on the C:\ and click on Search. Then find the keyword "atapi.sys" that the error message mentioned. You will see an icon that looks like a white sheet of paper, right click on that and choose "Unlocker" on the menu. This might start by default . After that a window should pop up showing you which program is currently using the file, I think it was "System". Now you need to click either on the "Unlock" or "Unlock All".

Step 3:
    After that, the "atapi.sys" file should be unlocked. Now, go back to the error message and you should see "Retry" or something like that, then just click on that. the process will continue on.

BEFORE INSTALLING SP3: (items in bold are imperative)

• Run CCleaner to get rid of unnecessary junk on my system
    • Make sure to have at least 900MB of available disk space on the C: (system) drive
    • Run CHKDSK on my C: (system) drive to make sure it is OK
    • Run a full scan with anti-virus and anti-spyware apps to make sure there is no malware on my system
    • Run the defragmenter
    • Make a full backup of my C: (system) drive(for restoring if things dont work out well)
      Shut down all user applications and processes
    • Disable my network connection
    • Shut down my firewall
    • Disable all active anti-virus and anti-spyware applications
    • Disable any other security software

3. eshaa16

eshaa16 Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your quick response. Solution 3 worked beautifully.:D

4. jackuars

jackuars

Pleasure to help!!:)(y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/923813

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice