1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cable at home signal keeps dropping!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Nutech12, Mar 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nutech12

Nutech12 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have Shaw Cable modem / internet here at home. After almost a year of uninterrupted service, now for the past week my connection keeps dropping, coming back online 5-20 minutes later.

Aside this being annoying, its a nuisance.

After talking with 3 different Cable techs, the first two blame it on my Linksys EA2700 router, the 3rd guy said he re-provisioned my modem, CISCO DPC3825, the modem is bridged so that my Linksys can work. The DPC as a Modem Router is a piece of crap.

I have been offered the Arris SBG6782 router, would this be a better choice to my Linksys EA2700? I like the Linsys, as it has the Smartwifi, and can limit the access to my younger guys so they do other things in life like get their homework done etc!

BTW, I have the cable coaxial to the the DPC3825 LAN with cable from it to the back of the EA2700 slot call INternet, two LAN cables from EA2700,

1) to my VOIP Adapter
    2) to my PC

I have tried the unplug, wait for 30 secs and let the Modem initialize then plug in my router... doesn't usually help.

Thanks for your help.

Richmond, BC
    Canada

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Try connecting a computer instead to the modem/router. If it works (probably want to repeat this test a few times) then the Linksys router is likely the problem. If the computer has no better luck then the problem is the modem/router, your coax cabling or an ISP problem.

3. Nutech12

Nutech12 Thread Starter

So I had an Arris, for 24 hrs, seemed okay but the installer had a few problems with setup, so I called Customer Service and out comes the Cable repair guy and suggested this Hitron CGNM-2250
    https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-4066

seems okay, problem is, that I can't lock out my young kids from being online all the time like I could with the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi.

Know of a 3rd party s/w I can use to accomplish this?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I do not, and I suggest that you start a new thread with a title that is likely to attract the people who do know something about the subject.

5. Nutech12

Nutech12 Thread Starter

I think I did... thx, TN

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

7. Nutech12

Nutech12 Thread Starter

Is it possible that someone, such as a jealous ex-husband to send his wife an email, she opens it or a link on it, then he can start monitoring what she's doing?

Please note I ask as this may have happened to someone that I know. NOT because I am interested in doing this.:)

thanks

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145269

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice