1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{SOLVED} Cable for Panasonic KX-p1124 Dot Matix Printer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by EllisWB, Feb 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EllisWB

EllisWB Thread Starter

Can I use a IEEE-1284 Centronics Parallel Cable on this printer? My manual calls for a Centronics Parallel cable. The printer was given to me but when I try to print with it, the printing is messed up. It will print one good line, then print skip couple a lines, then print top half of line, skip a
    line then print the bottom half of line.
    When I run the printers "selftest" where the cable is not used, it works fine. That's what makes me think it is the printer cable. I have an Ink Jet Printer that uses
    the IEEE-1284 cable. All of the stores I visited today stock only the IEEE-1284 cable. I would appreciate your help.

Thank you EllisWB

2. PatInAz

PatInAz

That's a fairly old printer. It should take the basic printer. Never referred to them by number. Just as a Centronics printer cable. It should be the 25-pin parallel port connector on the computer end and the Centronics edge-connector on the other end. If it physically fits on your printer it's probably the right cable.
    2 things you might want to check. First do a test print. The printer should have some way to generate a test page on its own. You might have to check the manual. And do something like hold one of the buttons down while you power it up. Second thing is to see in your BIos on system start how the parallel part is set up. This old printer may need it set to the Standard Parallel Port setting - may call it SPP.

3. LarryCore

LarryCore

1284 is an enhanced cable, allowing for two way communications between the printer and computer. The computer and printer both have to use it though - if they don't, it doesn't matter. It just means that you are spending more than you have to on the cable.

As Pat said, the problem is most likely your port setting. Many older dot matrix printers won't work right unless the parallel port is set to standard. The new default, ECP, just confuses them.

------------------
    Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
    LarryCore begs for money

4. EllisWB

EllisWB Thread Starter

I thank you for your reply, it was the Parallel Mode I had set in the Bios. I had it set to ECP which worked fine with my inkjet printer. Again thank you. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PatInAz:
    That's a fairly old printer. It should take the basic printer. Never referred to them by number. Just as a Centronics printer cable. It should be the 25-pin parallel port connector on the computer end and the Centronics edge-connector on the other end. If it physically fits on your printer it's probably the right cable.
    2 things you might want to check. First do a test print. The printer should have some way to generate a test page on its own. You might have to check the manual. And do something like hold one of the buttons down while you power it up. Second thing is to see in your BIos on system start how the parallel part is set up. This old printer may need it set to the Standard Parallel Port setting - may call it SPP.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
    Ellis

5. EllisWB

EllisWB Thread Starter

As you know, Pat was on the button it was the Mode I had set(ECP) in the Bios. I thank you both for your help. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LarryCore:
    1284 is an enhanced cable, allowing for two way communications between the printer and computer. The computer and printer both have to use it though - if they don't, it doesn't matter. It just means that you are spending more than you have to on the cable.

As Pat said, the problem is most likely your port setting. Many older dot matrix printers won't work right unless the parallel port is set to standard. The new default, ECP, just confuses them.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
    Ellis

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/35180

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice