1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] Cable Modem (Comcast)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ratzoe, Jan 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ratzoe

Ratzoe Thread Starter

Anyone...I had a cable modem installed by comcast on Wednesday and nothing is working. Tech that did the install left NO literature or notes. I called tech support for the usual 1 hour of smaltzy music before I got a techie to help. Went thru all the gyrations of uninstalling/reinstalling HP NIC card, IPconfig and other assorted things. Tech ended up telling me I had a bad card OR need a new IP stack OR AOL 6.0 screwed up my system. Supposed to have a Comcast techie at my house tomorrow.. Really don't want to get the run-around by these folks, so I would like to know if any of the above reasons ring true. I'm not exactly a newbie but have very limited experience with IP addresses / cable modems. Thx in advance...:)

2. supertech

supertech

if it is a toshiba modem i can help.....well anyway i need more info is the modem light solid....this indicates that you at least have a cable signal and it is locked on????? if your on line you must be using a dial up to get here you need to go into your internet options select never dial a connection .....check your lan make sure no boxes are checked then go into setup with the wizard you need to select local area network lan settings and go thru thru the prompts dont check any boxes like proxy or auto dtect.you should have a disc to do this with if they did an install

3. supertech

supertech

p.s i did road runner installs and we would have never left if the machine wasnt up and running......the guy who did your install is an idiot he should be canned and im needing a job.oh is there a green light on the back of your nic card and is it lit?

4. supertech

supertech

i keep forgetting things if the nic is bad you should be able to hook it up via usb

5. Ratzoe

Ratzoe Thread Starter

Will check all that when I get home, Im at work...thanks for the reply.

6. Ratzoe

Ratzoe Thread Starter

Thanks for your help...Turned out that Comcast had a problem on their end. Glad I didn't listen to the original phone help....:)

7. Dan O

Dan O

Thanks for letting is know. I will mark the thread solved.

8. BML

BML

i have their internet serivce. I dealt with their tech support a couple times and it was quite frustrating. They are really dumb. Although, like you i did get the issue worked out, but their tech support definitely leaves a lot to be desired although the actual service is pretty solid. Glad to hear @home is out of business. now they are going to get their own network i sure hope things can only improve.

There's a hug need these days for COMPETANT technical support. hey if that wasn't true this website wouldn't be around!

9. Dan O

Dan O

You're correct, plus we are free.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65388

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice