1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cable Modem replacement and compatibility

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jethsy, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jethsy

jethsy Thread Starter

I need to buy an ARRIS TM502G and quite paying the ridiculous rental fee per month to Comcast. I just want to know for certain that the one I buy will work. So, the actual numbers on the modem I now rent say TM502G/CT-8. Does the "CT-8" mean I must find one with CT-8, or will it work since it's the same otherwise?
    Thanks so much!!

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

You don't have to buy an ARRIS modem. I have a Motorola with my Comcast Blast service. The above link will tell you all the modems which will work with your Internet plan.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    zx10guy - they would need an arris modem if they have phone service through them.

Jethsy - if I am correct, make sure you go through the correct channels as they may not be able to accept your modem if you do have phone service.

Now from a technical aspect, the only time you need an Arris TM502G is if you are not planning to go higher than a 20/25Mbps connection. I would suggest a docsis 3.0 modem instead for any future changes. The Arris TG802G is the one you would want.

How much do you get charged, just out of interest?

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

James, thanks for the correction. I forgot about the phone aspect. I don't know if Comcast has this policy but with my other home I have Mediacom. They have a mandatory rental fee for their phone service. What I did to at least save a little money was to only rent the phone portion of the modem but use my own modem for the Internet portion.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    For our services we charge $8 for the arris modem, but we will support the modem 100%.. no matter how long you have it or how many times it is replaced. True you spend $96 a year for the rental, but if you buy an Arris which is about $200 depending on the one you buy, then you are stuck with their T&Cs which is usually 1 year. After that you are stuck having to buy a new one if it goes defective. Generally most people don't last that long for services, plus the fact Arris wants you to buy from them directly to give Comcast the information for their inventory you can't simply buy one used and use it for the phone service (but you can use it for internet)

6. jethsy

jethsy Thread Starter

Thanks for all the helpful replies. One question though, does it matter what the letters/numbers are AFTER the model number? I know that the Arris TM502G is the model number, but my particular one has the "/CT-8" after the model number. I want to know if I can just buy the model number--whether it has the CT-8 or not.
    I'd so appreciate answers for that. Thanks again!

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    The model number should be fine... I'm not too sure what the CT means. Please make sure that Comcast will accept the modem if you are to buy it somewhere else.

8. jethsy

jethsy Thread Starter

Thanks so much!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1109624

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice