1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cable modem won't work w/ wireless router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by syc0path, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

I just activated Comcast high-speed internet, and at first I couldn't access websites. We tried a few combinations of cycling the power to the modem and router, and rebooting the computer, but no luck. Finally, he told me to disconnect the router and plug the modem directly into the computer. Then it worked fine. And since it's not Comcast's router, they can't and won't provide any support to get the modem to work w/ the router.

The modem comes with both ethernet and USB connectivity, so I could hook the modem up the USB and connect the router to the ethernet. But I think I'd have to reconfigure the IP addresses and/or modem to do that, right? And I assume the other computer on the wireless network wouldn't have internet access?

The router is supposed to obtain the IP configuration from the modem automatically. When the modem was connected directly to the computer, I copied the IP configuration. Then I tried reconnecting the router and manually entering the same IP configuration into the router. But I don't know what I should set the "Wan Access Type" to... the options are Static IP, DHCP Client, PPPoE, or PPTP. There's also a "Clone MAC Address" field... I set that to the same MAC address as the ethernet connection on the cable modem.

I also set the routers Operation Mode to Gateway.

I'm running WinXP on the main computer and Win98SE on the other. The cable modem is a Motorola Surfboard SB5101. The router is a generic wireless G.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    not found much info about the router - i would expect to use a lan cable from the modem to the WAN input on the router - but maybe wrong -
    any other info on the router or a support website listed

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Reset the router to factory default settings. Then all you should have to do is configure the wireless. Remember to power cycle the modem when switching from computer to router.

4. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

Well after a good deal of experimenting, I finally hit the right combination. The WAN Access Type had to be set to DHCP Client, Attain DNS Automatically has to be checked, and Enable Web Server Access on WAN has to be checked too. Then I power cycled both the modem and the router and it works:D

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.© :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538582

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice