1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Calculating the free space on my hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by grandpaw7, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

Msinfo and defrag tell me I have a total of about 38Gb with about 14GB free and 24Gb in use.

A program called Treesize calculates that my files take up about 16Gb.

If Treesize is right, I wonder what that 8Gb, the difference between the 24Gb in use and the 16Gb taken up with files, is being used for?

Should I get more Gb's on my hard drive, and, if so, how do I do that?

Thanks, grandpaw

2. FFVIIMASTER

FFVIIMASTER

Hello grandpaw7
    Do you by anychance have a recovery partition in your computer?
    Also what OS are you running? if it is vista do you have the shadow copy feature enabled

3. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

Hi FFVIIMASTER. No, I don't have a recovery partition. I am running Windows XP Professional. Thanks.

4. FFVIIMASTER

FFVIIMASTER

Can you tell me the specs of your computer? Name, model, etc
    Usually the HP computers have the recovery partition installed but it is hidden just like system files are hidden from regular users in XP.
    When you purchased your computer, did it had any recovery discs?

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

msinfo and defrag, or a right click | Properties on a disk drive show the total space allocated and the free space that is not allocated. They check the space allocated for files, not used.

Highlighting all the files and folders, or using TreeSize, or any other app, only shows the size of files that the account it's running under have access to.
    One of the biggest would be the System Volume Information folder, which only the system has access to normally. Tree size should show this with an Access Denied message and a size of 0.
    A right click | Properties on this folder will also show a size of 0.
    This can contain up to 12% of the disk size just for restore points though, or 4.56 GiB on a 38 GiB drive. If you use the Indexing service, it stores it's database here as well.
    How to gain access to the System Volume Information folder
    The steps in the above article will allow both you and TreeSize to see the files in this folder. Best to set the permissions back once done though.

Also be sure to set TreeSize to show allocated size, rather than file size (View | Allocated Space). If you have many small files, this can account for a large discrepancy. A 1 byte file will still use 4096 bytes on disk.
    This is why the File Properties window has two lines, one for Size, and one for Size on Disk.

HTH

Jerry

6. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

Your information is much appreciated OutCaste. grandpaw

7. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

FFVIIMASTER, I apologize for the delay in responding.
    Here are the specs:
    Specs taken from Computer>General>System, and Everest and Belarc

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Dell Dimension 2400
    Processor CPU 2.8 GHz Intel Pentium 4
    Total Physical Memory 768.00 MB RAM
    Available Physical Memory 216.05 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Hard Drive: 40 GB
    Partitions NTFS 381.38MB Total; 14, 150MB free
    AVG Free
    Spy Sweeper

As to the recovery disc, I am in a rather complicated situation in which Windows XP Pro was installed on my computer by a tech and I think I am using it illegally. I have posted my problem on another thread and won't repeat it here. But if anyone is interested the thread is http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/825255-how-xp-professional-xp-home.html#post6683245

Thanks for your interest, grandpaw

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/824935

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice