1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: CALCULATOT not working, can't ScanDisk even in Safe Mode (ME)

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Transformer, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Transformer

Transformer Thread Starter

This began a few months ago. Other System Tools functions are working fine, except for Calculator. Also, I haven't been able to do a Scandisk, even in Safe Mode, since that time (restarts). Weird things and errors have been happening since I inadvertently dl'd ActiveX. Ironic thing is, my Norton Security had it blocked, yet in order to perform a certain function of Norton itself, it automatically began dl'ing ActiveX. Now I see ads and other annoying things that did not appear before.

Things are obviously buggy, and I'm getting plenty of Explorer errors as well. What should I do?

Also, my automatic Windows updates never take. Upon restart, I get error messages galore. But that has been happening for at least a year now.

(lol CALCULATOR. I can spell, really.)

2. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

Format and reinstall Windows.

Seems too damaged to recover.

Zee

3. HalTrout

HalTrout

If you don't want to reinstall you could press F8 on startup. Select command prompt and run scandisk in dos mode and see if corrects possible disk errors.
    I would then uninstall the Norton crap, reinstall active x components and see what happens.
    I have been using avg free antivirus for years and never have the troubles as previously with Norton.

4. Transformer

I had wanted to do this from the start of these problems, because I noted how well things worked after I was forced to do it in '04. But at that time, I still had free Dell support. So I have no idea how to do this reformatting alone. What disk do I use, what are my steps?

ME is just a buggy bugger and I have no problem starting over, if only someone can tell me exactly how.

I don't really WANT to reinstall ActiveX, lol. Maybe the most basics of it, but until that dl, I was ad-free. My NIS is about to expire soon, so I'm open to whatever you suggest. They stopped supporting ME, so....

5. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

You should have a Dell recovery CD.

Just put it in the drive and start the PC.

It should load the recovery CD menu and it should be self explanatory.

Zee

6. Transformer

I had no idea it would be that easy. Well, I guess there's no better time than the 4th holiday to get this done.

Also, I'd love to avoid installing my NIS 2005 disk and then having to dl all of the upgrades (it will truly take forever), so whatever anyone suggests as far as free antivirus, I'm open.

7. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

Very wise decision, it's a terrible system hog.

Suggest as good freebies that still run on Win9x systems:

Avast (Anti Virus) Home Edition
    http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Or

AVG Anti Virus Free
    http://free.grisoft.com/doc/download...virus/us/frt/0

And

Spybot S&D
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

A-Squared Free:
    http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

Spyware Blaster
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

And a software firewall. On this I will let you select it, I always liked Zone Alarm, but I know some versions caused problems in Win9x.

Check this website for software (old) versions that will run on Win9x systems (double check though):

http://www.oldversion.com/

ยกʞɔn1 poob

Zee

8. Transformer

:eek: DON'T SAY THAT!!! Every time someone says that re computer issues, it means there is a reason for such a "wish," and that things are bound to go wrong. :mad: If I have trouble, you will hear from me, jinxer! :p

9. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

Oops...;)
    :D

10. Transformer

OK, this is not what I was expecting. I was really hoping to go down to bare bones, ie factory installed. The disk I used simply re-installed Windows, but everything else is as it was before I started an hour ago. (Well, Calculator works now....)

Also, I still got the upgrades error:

WINDOWS COULD NOT UPGRADE THE FILE %1 FROM %2

And IE is not displaying all pages properly.

I have no disk labeled RECOVERY. The disks I have are:

APPLICATIONS
    OPERATING SYSTEM (WHICH i USED)
    RESOURCE CD (FAQ AND SUCH)
    DRIVERS AND UTIL
    MONITOR
    WINDVD

11. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

No that is not a Recovery CD

Yes, you reinstalled Windows on top, hence you're at the same spot as before, even if Calculator works now.

You do have its product key, don't you?

Without that you will not be able to reinstall from scratch. Stop here if you don't.

You need a WinME boot floppy.

Download this file to a working PC with floppy drive and internet access:

http://pesona.mmu.edu.my/~panzheng/bootup/bootme.exe

Put a freshly formatted floppy in the drive and double-click the "bootme.exe" file you downloaded.

This will start the process to create a boot floppy.

When finished put that floppy in the drive of the WinME system and power-up.

When asked select with CD-ROM support.

It will boot to an A:\ prompt. Type:

FORMAT C: (press Enter

Be aware that this will erase your HDD and nothing can be recovered.

When finished, put the WinME CD (Operating System) in the drive and type:

E:\SETUP (press Enter)

This should start the installation of Windows.

Have your product key nearby and just follow the prompts.

When finished you will need a few visits to Windows Update and remember to always reboot when asked, never try installing everything and rebooting once.

Cheers,

Zee

12. Transformer

I have all of these disks in their original slips. Most have product keys. What product key am I looking for exactly??? The one I just used?

13. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

If you had to type in a product key when reinstalling, that's exactly it.

14. Transformer

I was not prompted for such a key.

I have every single disk that came with my computer. And every single manual, warranty, bill, user guide, setup illustration, etc. I even kept the original memory card I replaced a few years ago. I have EVERYTHING, is my point, so...I have no idea what to do now. If I proceed as you suggested, and am prompted for a key, seems I'm screwed, as I have no corresponding key for a disk that doesn't exist.

Should I call Dell and request this disk??

15. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

The product key can typically be found on a yellow sticker on the CD case of the installation CD, or on a small Microsoft sticker on the outside of the PC's case (if the OS came preinstalled on the machine).

If you have the Operating System CD, you should be able to reinstall.

Can you tell me the model name/number for that Dell?

Zee

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590987

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice