1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can’t activate menu on Samsung Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by klaatu, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. klaatu

klaatu Thread Starter

I have a Samsung SyncMaster 173T LCD monitor that badly needs adjusting, but I've never been able to get its OSD (on-screen display) to come on. When I press its Menu button, nothing happens. (Even if I hold it for a long time.) I’m running WinXP Home, using it as a second monitor, have my desktop extended onto it. Video card: Nvidia GeForce 7800GS.

Can anyone suggest any things to try?

2. Sponsor

3. oksteve

oksteve

If you mean the menu button on the monitor does not work then its a problem with the monitor not your operating system.

If you can, take it back to where you got it from or a local computer repair shop and see if they can fix it.

4. klaatu

klaatu Thread Starter

OK; that's what I was afraid of. It's several years old, so it's well out of warranty, and not worth repairing. Fortunately, the Nvidia control panel mimics most of the controls (brightness, contrast, RGB), so that's not a bad fall-back.

5. oksteve

oksteve

wow,lasting several years !! good for you. Mine is just starting to generate dead pixels so its about to shift its mortal coil, and its only three.

Once your happy with your replies please mark this solved. I am allowed to skip Fridays punishment beatings if I get a solved one !

6. klaatu

klaatu Thread Starter

I didn’t mark it “solved” yet because that essentially says, “no more input needed,” and I would welcome some other opinions. (Not that I don’t welcome yours, which may well be right.) I’ve put a note on my calendar to mark it solved after a few more days if none are forthcoming. I promise!

7. oksteve

oksteve

Which is why I said "Once your happy" :)

8. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

if nothing happens when you push the button then it's a dead button lol. they don't last forever :D

9. Wino

Wino

10. klaatu

klaatu Thread Starter

Thanks, Wino. This looked like just what I needed. Unfortunately, my video card isn't supported. (Didn't discover that until after I installed it; I missed the site's link to the card list.)

However, the adjustments I made to this display through the Nvidia control panel (brightness, contrast, gamma) work well enough to get me by, so I'm gonna mark the thread solved at this point. Thanks much, guys; I appreciate it!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!