1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can a 480 watt power supply be used with a Pentium III 450 mhz processor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KMFDMputer, May 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KMFDMputer

KMFDMputer Thread Starter

I hope someone knows definitively because I've gotten conflicting information from IT professionals (at a certain school which shall remain nameless) and a couple other seemingly very knowledgeable persons at a new and used computer recycling wharehouse.

I had a 235 watt power supply with the Pentium 3 450,(which went bad) and two people said I need the same wattage or it could fry the motherboard, CPU and everything else. Two more said no, "This is an ATX as well, so don't worry. It won't(pointing at the plugs and wires attached to the new power supply) send more power than your computer needs to draw."

More information about the original power supply: HIPRO model: HP-235ATXAK
    AC input: 60/50hz 115V~/6A, 230V/3.5A
    DC output: +5V :::/ 25A, +12V ::: /8A
    -5V:::/0.5A, - 12V:::/0.5A
    +5VSB::: /1A, +3.3V:::14A

New power supply: AG II SATA ATX
    AC input: 15V/230V 10A 60/50mhz
    DC output: 3.3V +5V +12V -5V -12V +5VSB
    480 watt 28A 38A 17A 1.0A 0.5A 2.0A

It's been a long time since I've taken any electrical training, so I do know how funny electricity can be...an amp can kill you, (just one) but it is possible to survive a lightning strike. Errr, I digress...I just don't want a deep fried compy.

[edit: I guess it doesn't matter that it's a Pentium III chip, but was being specific)]

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That's baloney! You can use any larger P/S without a problem. The system will only draw the power needed.

3. KMFDMputer

KMFDMputer Thread Starter

Sweet. Why would these guys be teaching at a school? What's with all the lousy teachers?

I was already 98% believing the guys at the wharehouse that said the same as you, but I needed one more nail in the coffin. Hey, I had to learn, right?

Thanks. :)

4. brite750

brite750

As you will find out in life many teacher's and other people that are in academia are full of crap. Think about it, they are taught by other teachers, hows that saying go, crap in, crap out. I found that the people that know what theyre doing usually come out of private sector jobs. The Tech school I attended had teachers that had been out in the business world many years before they were allowed to teach a course.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!