1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: can anybody please recommend a good wireless cable router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by PK-her0, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

hi guys,

got a tooway satellite modem
    want to make it wireless, tried with a netgear wireless router that had a wan point, after reading people were saying dont bother with this...too difficult to setup, instead buy another one d-link or something

can anybody say what is a good model thats easy to setup?

please help
    thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I can't think of any general reason why a Netgear wireless router would be any harder or easier to set up than any other major brand.

What do you mean by "wireless cable router"? Do you mean a cable modem/wireless router combo? If so, why did you mention the satellite modem? Who is your ISP?

3. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

Hi terry..
    Im using a satellite connection that uses a tooway modem.
    I plugged the modem into the wan port on the netgear router.
    And tried to auto detect the internet connection it finds a static address but doesnt work when you press test. and cant get pages up on any machine.

From what i was reading everybody was complaining about setting up this particular netgear with a tooway modem...one guy said manual setup took him 4 hours of blood and tears. swapped it for a d link and set it up in 5 min.

also read something that the router needs to be dsl not adsl... or the other way round. hope this helps

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the modem is a modem only you probably have to power cycle (unplug for 30 seconds) it when switching the device connected to it.

If the modem is a modem/router combo it may be using the same LAN IP subnet as the Netgear (192.168.1.x).

Showing us the following for a Windows computer connected to the modem may help us sort this ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

5. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

ok terry when i connect the satellite modem straight to the pc and run a msconfig (internet is working, only machine connected)
    i get

IP: 95.210.49.80
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.252.0
    default gateway: 95.210.48.1

i didnt run /all command

but i do remember the dhcp was the same as the dg
    and dns was also pointing to the dg

i did think about doing this manually and tried setting my wireless router address in the same range
    but it didnt work

thanks for your help thus far

appreciated

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Those are public IP addresses. I don't understand what isn't working with a regular router with default settings connected to that modem.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Reset the router to factory default settings.

Unplug the modem and router and shut down the computer.

Connect the modem to the router's WAN (Internet, modem) port and computer to a router LAN port.

Plug in modem. Plug in router. Boot computer. You should now have internet access. If you don't, clone the computer's MAC Address to the router's WAN MAC Address.

If you still do not have internet access post an ipconfig /all for this configuration. Also login to the router (if you are connected to it) and see what the WAN status (IP, Default Gateway, etc.) is.

8. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

Happy new year DH!!!

exactly!!! it is one routable address that gets passed down to the satellite modem...

i found an interesting article on the case:

http://www.satsig.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=tooway;action=display;num=1254496010

this is what i found in the article:

We use the Belkin N1 Vision. Very easy to set up. No installation disks to worry about. Can be set up in all of 5 minutes. Works seamlessly with XP and Vista simultaneously. Also gives you a Guest access so you don't have to give out your own WEP key to houseguests.

Just make sure you get the Cable version. This applies to all routers for Tooway useage as ADSL won't work, it has to be DSL only. Check out the Belkin website for further info.

this is what i was thinking of buying from amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...p?ie=UTF8&qid=1326366220&sr=8-1&condition=new

i will try what you say terry and post the results...thanks a ton guys, have a good weekend

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In my opinion most of the posts in that "interesting article" are from people who don't know a router from a hole in the ground. :D

The best post there is the penultimate one, and is accurate except for one misspelling and "(cable)" is not needed:

Broadband routers can be used with any (satellite, cable, DSL, ADSL, etc.) service as long as the WAN port can be connected by ethernet. When we see something like "ADSL router" or "cable router" the reference is probably to a modem/router combo; because it includes the modem it is specific to the type of service.

10. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You need a router. That's it. You posted a link to one of hundreds available. Connect the modem to a router set to defaults, and post the information requested.

12. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

will do....Thanks for the help DH...

13. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

ok so i bought one of these:

http://www.dabs.ie/products/tp-link-300mbps-wireless-n-cable-router-4-port-switch-77RJ.html

connected it to the satellite modem via wan port

connected a wired client into the ethernet port

setup the wireless SSID security etc...

and everything is working

took 5 minutes!!!

so what would the difference be between this and the netgear? both have wan ports...this router does say "for cable connections" but you guys insist there is no difference...

Thanks for all the help!!! really appreciated..Always!!!

14. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's just confusing writing on the part of the site selling it.

Newegg has the same thing without the word "cable" in the description. It's just a broadband router. One of hundreds that would work with any type of broadband internet service using modem with an ethernet connection.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704039

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1035412

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice