1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can anyone answer my question?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by moogle_man, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moogle_man

moogle_man Thread Starter

First off...

I have...

Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit.
    Service pack 1
    140 gig hard drive
    Hp Pavilion DV6500 (Laptop)
    1 gig ram I think...
    900 mhr I belive...

Anyway, here's my problem...

Ever so lately, my computer has been running slow. I don't think it's the fact that I have at least 65 gig of my hard drive full, but it could be...

Anyway, I'll start up my computer, and it'll run pretty good. Things will go fast, programs run pretty good, ect. For some reason, after I am on my computer for a long time, my computer starts to slow down significantly... Firefox will start going slow, my MSN Messenger will react slowly, clicking on the start button takes forever to load up, clicking on a folder inside Windows Explorer takes forever to load up, and if I click on a picture to view it or a music file, I might as well lay back and take a quick nap... If I reset my computer, it'll go fast again, but after a couple of hours (could be a few, could be a lot), it'll start going slow again, and things will go so slow and unresponsive.

My friend told me he thought I might of had a virus, but I scanned my computer with my anti-virus program (AVG 7 Free and Ad-Aware), and the only thing it found were tracking cookies... there were 673 of them, but they were all deleted, and it did nothing to improve the computer...

What could be my problem? Is it the fact that out of 140 gig of harddrive space I only have about 85 left and it's slowing down my computer? Could it be that AVG 7 free and Ad aware isn't doing it's proper job (I had Norton before that, and I don't believe I had the problems before... but I might be mistaken)? Could it also be that it's just Vista, and SP1 just added onto the problem? Any help would be appreciated tremendously. Thanks!

PS- Also, here lately, the hard drive has been making some weird sounds... like a small, faint cackling noise... I heard that means the hard drive is going bad, but I just bought it about 2-3 months ago...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Edit

I forgot another question. The other day, when I was backing up my files, I accidentaly saved them in my HP Recovery drive (D drive), and now it's completely full... how do I safely get rid of the files inside of it so it'll stop telling me "You're Hard Drive is full"? Plus, the backup didn't complete because there were too many files, so it's worthless anyway. Thanks!

2. PCcruncher

PCcruncher

One gig of ram is a little on the low side for Vista, 2 gigs is what I would recommend. The fact that it is slowing down may be that you have too many programs running. Press ctrl+alt+del at the same time and see how many processes are running.
    the hard drive can make small noises and that is not a problem.

with a HJT log you can show what is running on your pc.
    WARNING, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIX ANYTHING WITH IT. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.
    • Download HJTInstall.exe to your Desktop.
    • Doubleclick HJTInstall.exe to install it.
    • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis .
    • Click on Install.
    • It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
    • Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
    • Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
    • Copy/Paste the log to your next reply please.

Then uninstall it in add/remove programs.

3. moogle_man

Oh crap... sorry for the confusion, I meant I had 2 gig of ram (1.86 around there)... sorry about that...

But I'll do what your requested, and I'll check out the alt-ctrl-del the next time it does it.

4. Peter Komar

Peter Komar

1.86 is your processor speed I think. Click on Start, Computer, System properties and post what you see there.

5. Masterman10

Masterman10

What type of processor do you have? Have you tried defragmentation. Vista has a big problem fragmenting. I have mine set to run once a week and it greatly helped the speed of my computer. Also, if you want to check that you meet all the requirements. Go to Start, Right-click my computer, and properties. Where it talks about System rating. Go through that process and it will give you a rating of how compatable your computer is with vista.

6. moogle_man

Okay.

AMD Anthlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processer TK-55 1.80 ghz

Memory (ram) = 1 gig

System Type: 32 bit Operation System

(By the way, when I alt-ctrl-del my computer and brought up the windows Task Thingy, I saw this HP Health Care Thing was there, and when I told it to end task, it said that it wasn't responding... after I shut it down, the computer seemed to run a lot faster :D That might of fixed it... but I'm not going to hold my breathe.)

7. moogle_man

Sorry for the double post, but to answer Masterman10's question...

Processer: 4.7
    Memory(Ram): 4.5
    Graphics: 3.1
    Gaming Graphics: 2.5 (which sucks because I'm a gamer lol)
    Primary Hard disc: 4.9

Windows Experience Index score of 2.5, based on the lowest score (which is the gaming graphics).

Is any of that bad or good?

8. Masterman10

Masterman10

I'm a little suprised it gave you a 4.5 on ram with only 1 gig. By the looks of it your meeting a little above the minimum to run vista. It's not terrible though so it should not be giving you as much problem as it says it is. I would watch that HP Health Care thing and if you have the money to buy another gig of ram. Also, as I asked before. Have you done defragmentation?

9. moogle_man

I did about a couple of weeks ago, but it took about 4 hours to complete... never-the-less, I'll do it again. I'll be going to bed here in a couple of hours, I'll just let it run during the night.

10. Masterman10

Masterman10

If it's taking that long to do that means there are alot of fragmented files. It should take an hour max. Set it up to automatically do it once a week in the early morning or sometime when you are not on. You can also try Disk Cleanup. Vista essentially clogs itself and slows itself down. If you regulary "unclog" it, then it normally fixes many performance issues.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697122

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice