1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can anyone help me backup my new Win 8 Laptop please?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by BrianJones, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BrianJones

BrianJones Thread Starter

My laptop is new and still in the box, I am interested in backing it up before I start to add programs or even use it on the net. Can anyone suggest a quality program (hopefully free) that I should use to backup my hard drive?

Also, is this something I can install on CDs or should I use something like a flash drive or an external hard drive? I am going to buy an external hard drive to keep my laptop business information backed up each day. Can I back my original configuration on that same external hard drive or should i back it up on something different?

I am new to this but was told I should do this backup before doing anything else. To anyone that can help, i would be thankful!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Best to backup to an external hard drive. Second best, I think, is to a set of DVDs. Don't even think about CDs unless you have a truck load of them. :)

I have been using Macrium Reflect Free, but haven't used it with Windows 8 yet. Acronis is very popular with folks on this site. There are many other free and for-pay ones.

Your OEM may have supplied something also. For example, I just bought a new Lenovo and part of their "Recovery" process is an image backup.

3. BrianJones

Can I use the same external hard drive that I will use to backup file on this laptop for the future? or must it be a hard drive that is only used with the origial configuration backup?

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

In 8 on Control Panel - Windows 7 file recovery - I realise it is a strange name - you will see create system image - create repair disc
    that is your starting point

As my colleague says there is also without doubt a facility on the laptop to create recovery discs in case the HDD recovery partition is for some reason not accessible by normal means
    Albeit of course that this will take you back to factory condition.

YOU image can be stored on any external hard drive
    JUST ensure you do NOT -
    1. defrag that drive
    2. Encrypt that drive
    3. In any way change that image file

WHATEVER ELSE you use ensure please you use the Windows 8 inbuilt image
    I do not know about others but Easeus Todo free edition supports
    "Support GPT disk for complete backup, recovery and disk cloning."

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm

I have read that Acronis free does not - but I am unsure I have not checked it.
    Of course Macrium used by my good colleague TerryNet also does.

Your laptop will be UEFI instead of traditional BIOS and it will be GPT partition format and not MBR

Please take my advice - do NOT until you are familiar with it make any attempt to change anything in boot order or UEFI settings - you are at risk of causing problems

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You can use the same external hard drive. I would probably create the initial image on DVDs for extra protection in case I ever wanted to go back to "factory defaults" without access to the Recovery partition.

Then on the external hard drive create at least three partitions--one for an additional copy of the original image (I'm very risk adverse!), a second one big enough to hold three or four images, and then one or more for your data backups.

Then monthly (or whatever period you think appropriate) make a system image onto that second partition. "Rotate" the images by keeping the most recent two or three and delete the oldest before making your new image backup.

Regardless of what program you decide to use you will probably need to also create a boot or rescue disk that you use to boot and then restore from your backup.

6. BrianJones

I have never burned to a DVD and I didnt even know that could be done on a laptop, do I need a special drive? Are there different kinds (like CDRW+ or - ?) Can you suggest a type/brand/etc of DVD I should buy and would you have a guess as to about how many of them I would need to backup the origial configuration?
    I had Dell install MS Office (but they did not give me disks), is that something that will also be stored as "original" if i back it up, or would I need to have the install disks for that program?
    Thanx!

7. raybro

raybro

Hello Brian... You will find Windows 8 quite different from previous Windows operation Systems. There are, however, ways to customize it which will make it more like XP or Windows 7 in appearance and function. For instance, click the first screenshot at the bottom of the post to view what my display looks like on boot into Windows 8. Note the start button in the lower left just like XP or Win 7. The second screenshot is the normal display when booting into Windows 8.

Win 8 will still have some functions which will have titles and means of access unique to the OS, but that is more a matter of getting familiar with the OS than anything else. There are some hidden operational functions with Win 8 you will need to learn about. A significant one is something called UEFI. An oversimplification is, UEFI replaces the old more familiar BIOS in normal operation. The old BIOS is still there, but in order to use it (and you will need to use it) one must go through some specific steps at startup. This will be necessary in order to boot to any external device, like a flash drive. Just some new guidelines to learn.

Relative to your question about burning CD/DVD's. Since your system is a new one, it most likely has a DVD burner, but what we need to do at this point is focus on at least two goals. If you wish to proceed with DVD's, I suggest Double layer DVD+R. They have a capacity of about 8.5GB as opposed to standard DVD's which have a capacity of about 4.7GB. For what you are contemplating, I wouldn't even consider CD's because of their limited capacity. Before you purchase anything, you should first be sure you have a burner/player and not simply a player in your laptop.

1. First priority... Get a backup system in place and create a backup image of your hard drive. I do not recommend using DVD's as a primary means of storing backup images. They are vulnerable to physical damage which even minor damage, can cause the disc(s) unusable. You will be better served using an external hard drive as your storage media. DVD's as a redundant method is not a bad idea, but not of immediate concern. I again recommend Easeus ToDo Home 5.6 for your use. You will need a flash drive to create a rescue boot device.

2. We need more information about the hardware and software configuration of your new computer. This can be done in a number of ways. First, download and run the TSG System Info Utility. Copy the highlighted content in the window and paste it into the body of a reply to this thread. That will provide some basic info as a starter. Then, go back to your previous thread in the All Other software forum and follow through with my recommendation in post #9 regarding HiJackThis and the uninstall list. Copy/Paste that list into the body of another reply to the thread.

If we just take this a step at a time, we can get you up and running. Time, communication and patience are the watchwords. There is a lot of talent available here on TSG if you choose to use it.

Attached Files:

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know whether the Microsoft Office is included in the "original." Everything is included if you use one of those many programs we mentioned to "image" or "clone" your system.

Note that my suggestion of DVDs is just an extra precaution. They'd be needed only if you lost both the Recovery partition on the hard drive and the backups on the external hard drive.

Look in Device Manager or read the (difficult to see) label on the front of the optical drive to see what kind of drive you have. I think that even the cheapest laptops these days include a DVD-RW, but you may have to be careful whether you need DVD+R or DVD-R disks. You can't get much cheaper than a Lenovo G585, and that has DVD-RW (see attachment).

Attached Files:

9. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I agree with all that has been said, but at the risk of repetition from my earlier post - WHATEVER else you use you are advised to ensure you use this

The reason it is named Windows 7 File recovery is that Microsoft, it is believed, wish to replace it with the more efficient but somewhat complicated system of Windows 8 file history
    However, with all the other changes in 8, it was apparently felt, that the traditional system image and repair disc facility, should be left in 8, as it was well established in 7.

They therefore left it under this strange title.

The new system may be found by typing , after pressing the windows key from the desktop - File History - then simply click settings on the right of the screen.

However it is not as straightforward as simply creating your system image and repair disc using the aforementioned windows 7 file recovery.

and there are variations to it including creating custom system image for use in Refresh your PC
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2748351

So as explained in red for your purposes
    Stay with the simple and easy to make system image and repair disc in Control Panel Windows 7 File recovery

AND then as explained use the Macrium that my colleague TerryNet mentioned OR the Easeus free Todo that I sent you OR the one mentioned by Raybro

10. BrianJones

Can you please tell me how I can make "partitions" of my external hard drive?

11. BrianJones

Is this the best place to post the information i get from HiJackThis? Your other post said there are only a few people who can review HJT, so should I start a new post and ask for HJT help, or will they somehow find my post if i type it here? Please let me know where to post and I thank you for going through this step by step with me!

12. raybro

raybro

Post it in this thread. The HJT scan log file is the one which requires specialized attention. The uninstall log file is simply information about your computer. F course, you can always post the Uninstall log file in both threads.

Having 2 threads which basically address the same subject can get confusing. You may want to consider hitting the Report button and asking an administrator to merge the threads.

13. BrianJones

Is the TRIAL version of this enough to use? I noticed only the trial verson was free and was hoping to do this without spending much money. But if the trial version won't are there any other quality free options you can suggest please?
    Thank you for your help.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Windows' Disk Management should be able to handle this. But for most partitioning work I use the free EASEUS Partition Master.

15. BrianJones

and with this program, are you partitioning the External Hard Drive????? or your main (laptop) hard drive?
    Thanks!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088351

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice