1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can Anyone Recommend a Free All Round Media Player?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Einstein a no no, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Einstein a no no

Einstein a no no Thread Starter

Hello.
    I was wondering if any of you more knowledgable people could recommend an all-in-one media player (a freeware basic unit suffices for my needs). I find myself flitting between WMP and Realplayer (beta) because WMP does not download video clips. I have read that Jetaudio1 Basic is a pretty impressive unit but I don't think it has download facilities (and I am wary of downloading it just to try it out if you know what I mean).

Also WMP came shipped with my PC - would I be unwise to uninstall it if I can find a replacement as I have heard it is a massive resource hog??

Thanks guys.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

http://mpui.sourceforge.net/

Uninstalling Media Player would be a real pain and probably lead to other problems. But you could go through the options to turn off the scanning and cataloging options, and terminate any services related to it.

It is a very good player, and I like it. It really doesn't seem to be too much of a "hog" when running, but it is always performing background tasks, some good, some not. But I am getting used to its automatic cataloging and downloading cover art and like that feature.

3. gurutech

gurutech

4. Wino

Wino

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!