[Solved] Can anyone tell me what this is???

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kristi

I don't know how this "thing" got on my IE 5.01 title bar. It's been there for a few months now. The only hardware I've installed is a scanner and related software. I've uninstalled all of that and it made no difference.

I feel like I have an "eye" watching me and it's really bugging me!! As far as software, I've installed and uninstalled several programs over the past few months. If this showed up after a specific install, I can't remember which. I've looked through the IE directory and didn't see anything looking suspicious.

Clicking right or left has no effect on the symbol or IE. It isn't animated, doesn't change, and doesn't do anything apparent.

It shows up on the title bar only after I've navigated somewhere on the internet. In other words, in local mode, and when I start up the browser it isn't there.

Here's the picture of it:

Any ideas? Anyone seen this before?

Krisit

Attachments

I have never seen anything like that before.
Right click on it & go to properties.
Is it showing up in Ctrl-alt-del

When did you last run a spyware check... or do you have Ad-Aware?

I used to have that. It is nothing to worry about. It is either some news thing or a mouse pointer program. (sorry, I don't remember which it is or what they were called)

Kristi--I'm going to move this to the Win 95/98/ME forum where you'll get more help. It could be the Web/E-mail forum as well, but the former you'll likely get more help.

It looks like your Browser got "branded"

Try one or both of the following methods to remove it:

REMOVE IE BRANDING

1) Make sure all browser windows are closed.
2) Start | Run insert "rundll32.exe iedkcs32.dll,Clear" ( without the quotes)
Press ok.
3) Restart Internet Explorer
NOTE: This should work on all platforms running IE 4.x or 5.x
====================================

======================
BRAND BITMAP REMOVAL
Start the registry editor (regedit.exe)
Move to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar
Select BrandBitmap and click Delete. Confirm
Select SmBrandBitmap and click Delete. Confirm
Close the registry editor
Restart the computer

====================

If that doesn't correct it, I'd try running Ad-Aware and see if it might be related to some "spyware" installation.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Read the FAQ and "Getting Starte" pages before running it.

The icon belongs to a program called Comet Cursor....not too sure what it does exactly. I've seen it on a friends PC before.

Kristi

Mulder

Thanks for moving this thread. I wasn't sure what it fit under.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
SavvyLady

Right and left click have no effect on this symbol. It doesn't show up in Ctrl-alt-del. I think I will run a spyware check. I know I have some programs that are spyware and I try to control when those programs are enabled.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
cjreed64

I'm glad someone else has seen this. Do you remember what you did to get rid of it? Did it disappear with a program uninstall?
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rollin' Rog

What is "branding?" I think this is the case with my browser. This is what I found in the file named Install.ins in the IE directory:

[Branding]
CompanyName=Microsoft Corporation
Version=5,00,3314,2101
NoClear=1
Type=0
Wizard_Version=5.00.3314.2101
Custom_Key=MICROSO
Win32DownloadSite=0
Window_Title_CN_Gray=Microsoft Corporation
FavoritesOnTop=0
Platform=2

Does this mean I am "branded?" This file, along with a few others, is dated April 29th. I installed SP2 at that time. I remember installing 128-bit encryption a few months ago and it must have come in SP2 form. Do you know if 128-bit is included in SP2?

I would like to keep the 128-bit. If I follow your instructions will I still have the 128-bit?
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fairbairn and angel

I do have the desktop Comet Cursor software, but I seldom run it. I control my startup programs or I use Ctrl-alt-del and end task to disable my spyware programs until I want to use them for some reason. I've had Comet Cursor for well over a year now, and this symbol is fairly recent. Thanks for you input.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks everyone for your help.
Kristi

Branding is something that is occasionally done with browsers that are installed with certain ISP's. Yours shouldn't be, but it is possible something you installed could have done the deed anyway. Still, I think it would be there even when offline. What you describe does sound more like something Comet Cursor would do if you visited certain websites which partner with it. Whether it appears or not may depend on web page coding.

To see whether your IE is "Branded", you have to run regedit and navigate to the key in the second "method". If you see those entries for bitbranding, then they should be deleted (right click on them and delete). I don't which version of IE installs the 128bit encryption off hand (I think it is IE 5.5) But to see your current cipher strength, click on "Help" on the browser window, and "about IE"

Kristi, it <b>is</b> comet cursor. I just couldn't think of the name. That is the mouse program I mentioned in my previous reply. I am not sure how I removed it.

Go to add/remove and comet cursor should be on the list of software you have there so just uninstall it from add/remove.
It you have a old version of comet cursor you need to download the uninstall for it.
That is if they still have it at there site.

http://cometcursor.com/

I have a Comet_Uninstaller, version 1, 5, 1, 190 if you need it. It's only a 18.5 KB file.

Kristi

Well, problem solved!! It IS Comet Cursor!! I was very surprised!

My browser isn't branded, so no registry keys to remove.

I couldn't find Comet Cursor in Program Files, so I went to a shorcut for it (find target) and found the program in Windows/System/Comet/Bin. From there I used Windows Explorer to look at the directory. I found a .bmp with a label indicating cursor states. MS Paint showed that symbol has 10 different looks. Also the directory contained files related to dictionary, encyclopedia, and web. By the way, I've never seen any other look to this symbol.

I went to the Google website and highlighted the word Google and clicked on the symbol. Nothing. I double clicked. Nothing (except the browser minimized as usual). Then my computer froze up. I restarted and the sound icon in the system tray was gone. I restarted again and then I was back to normal.

So whatever this CC symbol is supposed to do, it doesn't. Unless it's supposed to freeze my computer!

Does anyone else think it's surprising that it doesn't show up anywhere in the IE directory? Or with Ctr-alt-del? It is a very hidden program (being in the system directory). With no documentation on it either.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Kristi

Glad to see you got your problem fixed! Comet Cursor automatically downloaded when I went to a certain site. That was annoying. It took me a while to get rid of it too. :mad:

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
To stop Comet Cursor and others from installing automatically, go to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced Tab and UNselect "Install on Demand".

Glad I could help. Like I said before, I recognized the icon from a friends PC. I'm glad your problem has been resolved.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online