1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can anyone tell me what type of graphics card my computer takes?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FD87, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FD87

FD87 Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Presario SR5404F.

2. replay

replay

3. FD87

FD87 Thread Starter

Thanks! So that's all I need to know -- PCI-E slot x16? It doesn't matter what brand it is or whatever else? (Sorry, I've never had to replace a graphics card before.)

By the way, is this something you think the average person could install on their own (I've installed RAM and a wireless adapter in the past, but other than that, nothing else), or do think I should go to Best Buy and let Geek Squad do it? And in case I do decide to do it on my own, does the graphics card come with reasonably detailed instructions?

4. replay

replay

5. FD87

FD87 Thread Starter

Why? I've never used them before, by the way.

How much do they charge?

I ask because it's for my uncle's computer, and since I've never installed a graphics card before, I don't know if he'll wanting me tinkering around with his hardware, and he would definitely be too intimidated to do it himself. But if you say it's very easy...

Thanks for the videos. I'll be sure to watch some of those later so that I'll know how much work I have cut out for me.

6. replay

replay

its easy......... you'll be fine

7. FD87

FD87 Thread Starter

Okay, and just to be clear, all I need to know is that the graphics card is PCI-E slot x16? Any brand or whatever else is acceptable as long as it says that it's PCI-E slot x16, right?

Sorry to harp on this, but I've never bought a graphics card before, and I just want to be sure I get the right kind.

8. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

Your Compaq only has a 250 watt power supply so the only graphics cards that will run are entry level cards that don't require their own power source. Mid to high end Pci-e cards require alot more power than your power supply can provide.

9. FD87

FD87 Thread Starter

Good thing I asked then. Do you think you could elaborate a little more on this because again I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to hardware and I wouldn't know how to pick an entry level card from a mid to high end except by looking at the price?

10. FD87

FD87 Thread Starter

< removed spammer quote >

What are you confused by? I was asking if certain brands might be incompatible with my computer. The "whatever else" (assuming this is what's thrown you off) was meant to refer to any other specifications I might need to know about.

11. FD87

FD87 Thread Starter

Could anyone elaborate on what Amd_Man was talking about? I don't know how I'm supposed to know what is an entry level card and what isn't.

12. Dromidos

Dromidos

Your Compaq has a 250 watt power supply. So you can not use a power supply that states it needs a 500w PSU. For your system , to throw out an example, I would suggest an nvidia 8400gs or similar. They ask for a 300w power supply but your 250w PSU should get away with it.

So laymans terms, you can not run a GTX 680, you can only run an old GFX card that does not require much power. Dunno how else it can be said. Don't quote me that the 8400gs will definately work either for that matter

13. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

< Deleted Spammer Quote >

I hope you don't build computers for anyone else but yourself because it most certainly does matter. Do you honestly think a 250 watt power supply can power any graphics card out there? To the poster: your computer is an OEM computer and pretty much all OEM manufacturers use low quality power supplies that are just enough to run what they came with. Mid to high end cards require a Pci-e power plug to run them and they are dependant on the volts the +12v rail puts out. Your power supply does not have these connectors. Look at your power supply and check the +12v rail and I'm sure it's going to be low. The only card I would ever recommend you or anyone with your system runs is a lower tier graphics card that gets its power from the Pci-e slot on the motherboard which produces a maximum of 75 watts. What do you plan on doing with an upgraded graphics card?

14. FD87

FD87 Thread Starter

Thanks for the information.

Will a graphics card say on the box what type of power supply it's compatible with? If that's the case, I guess there shouldn't be any problem finding something, but if not, I still don't quite know what I should be looking for, especially when you say that the type of card you suggest might not even work.

15. FD87

FD87 Thread Starter

I don't plan on using an upgraded graphics card. I just don't know how I'm supposed to find an appropriate card. Everyone says I'm supposed to look for a low tier one, which I get, but I don't understand how I can designate a particular card as low tier. Will it say on the box what type of power supply it's compatible with, and if so, is that all I need to know?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085086

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice