1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Can Defrag Hurt My 'Puter?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Wet Chicken, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken Thread Starter

Using WinME. Yesterday I performed a much needed defrag. Now the computer no longer will boot normally. It always boots into safe mode (safe mode written all four corners). I ran spybot and it found around five things, which I deleted, but still it only boots into safe mode. Then I tried restore, but when it rebooted the hard drive started making these noises like there was someone inside the computer with maracas :eek: That lasted for around 30 seconds and then the computer just got hung up and went into pause mode.

I figured it had something to do with the hard drive so I ran Norton Disk Doctor in thorough mode (took 6 hours to scan) but when it was all done it said everything was OK. today I ran anti-virus, but it also found nothing wrong. I don't know if the defrag was just a coincidence or not, but it was the only thing that I did, and the hard drive is making that weird noise now just before it freezes up. Maybe it has something to do with a bad cluster, but then NDD should have detected and fixed it.

What should I check next :confused:

2. mobo

mobo

Not too sure on millenium but look and try this first..
    reboot and immediately start tapping the f8 key. You should get a black screen with white lettering. If present select last known good configuration .

As well , do you get any error or missing files. Oh... and don't be a chicken so try a system restore if those options don't work.:D

3. Wet Chicken

By the way it's acting I'm not so sure it's a OS issue, I think it might be hardware because of that noise that I hear :( I don't understand why Norton Disk Doctor isn't picking up on anything.

I already restored it, and the computer said that the restore worked, but it still won't boot up past that point where I hear the hard drive make that noise. I decided to reinstall WindowsME again and the reinstall went fine. When it rebooted it STILL wouldn't go past that one point. OK, now I'm getting worried :eek:

It nevers gives any errors at all (at any time).

When I boot into safe mode everything looks good. Every test that I run says that everything is ok, but obviously the test are missing something. I boot up, everything is going fine, the hard drive starts to make that noise, and then it just freezes up :(

4. mobo

mobo

How does device manager look ?

5. buckaroo

buckaroo

6. Wet Chicken

Device manager (from safe mode) looks fine.

I'll try running those programs and see what happens next.

Here is a sample of the noise that the hard drive makes.

Clickity - Click !

7. mobo

mobo

Bearings in the drive are going bad...Better save some loot my cluckin friend.

8. Wet Chicken

It says error S57, whatever that is :(

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

It should tell you on their website ;) I 'think' anything that begins with S though, isn't good.

10. Wet Chicken

I just looked on thier web site. I looked under "error S57" and "S57" but there was nothing about it. I also did a search for error S57 on the net and found nothing there either. I'll try IBM since I think it is a IBM HD, but their site is a mess to navigate on :(

11. ~Candy~

IBM is now Hitachi ;)

12. Wet Chicken

OK thanks, I'll try their site too :)

13. ~Candy~

guess I should clarify that....for hard drives only ;)

14. Wet Chicken

OK here's an update. The good news is that there is nothing wrong with the hard drive :) Everything boots up fine when I go into msconfig and use "Selective startup". If I uncheck "Process System.ini file" and "Process Win.ini file" it starts up normally, but the resolution is like when you are in safe mode (it cannot be changed to a higher resolution).

So does this mean that the System.ini file and Win.ini file are corrupted?

Can they be repaired? I reinstalled WinME, why wouldn't it have repaired them both then?

Thanks.

15. mobo

mobo

It could be a system driver as system ini is for storing info on device drivers and window settings.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169707

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice