1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can Dell hard drive with Vista be replaced with Hard Drive XP?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Vista Stinks!, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Vista Stinks!

Vista Stinks! Thread Starter

Hello, I just got a new Dell Dimension E521 with Vista as the operating system. Vista Stinks! For most programs, including video and audio from XP Service Pack 2 Vista doesn't recognize drivers that were fine with XP Service Pack 2.
    Even Sonic and Roxio, which are installed on the damn thing give these same problems.

My internet connection is also no better at all and was outright disabled with a message "something has caused Microsoft Internet to stop working" after I tried
    to install basic version of Zone Alarm.
    Then on reboot it says "unauthorized change made to your license, you must verify your software online". This message come up before the desktop appears and this screen is frozen whether you choose the "verify" or "cancel" option.

Couldn't shut down by any means either, including Control Alt Delete, it wouldn't bring up that window. Had to literally pull the plug and reboot into Safe Mode where I uninstalled Zone Alarm and a couple of other functions that worked perfectly in XP2.

Then I was able to re-boot normally, the message did not come up again.

I hate Vista. Not interested in any "fixes", not worth the trouble. The only fix for Vista is a sledgehammer to the drive!

My hope is this: can I get the hard drive removed and replace it with a clean hard drive that has XP sp2 on it, or am I stuck with this P.O.S. Operating System?

The computer in question is a brand new Dell Dimension E521, 2.0 GHz processor, AMD Dual Core 3800+, 1 gb RAM. Combined CD\DVD drive, 160 gb hard drive.

Thanks for any help,

Rick

2. spdabbs

spdabbs

You wouldn't be able to replace the drive with on that already had XP installed on it, you would however be able to replace it with an empty drive and install XP onto that drive. The only exception would be if the HDD with XP installed on was installed on an identical machine.

3. Vista Stinks!

Thanks, don't have an identical drive, but it well be well worth my while to get a clean drive installed and then install XP on that.
    I still have my XP installation disk from my previous computer, But I probably can't use that on a different drive, legally.

However if I get a clean drive and purchase a new XP installation disk, will my Dell Dimension E521 with AMD Dual Core (2.0 GHz with 1 gb RAM) still function after a successful install of XP Service Pack 2?

Thanks again, the help is greatly appreciated.

Rick

4. spdabbs

spdabbs

So long as you're able to get XP drivers for all the hardware in the system (more than likely), it'll work fine.

5. Vista Stinks!

Ok, I take it I can download drivers needed from the Microsoft download support page, is that correct? (after installing licensed XP on a fresh HDD)

Also, what about the HDD with Vista on this computer right now, it's a nice 160 gb capacity, can this HDD be re-formatted, re-partioned, or scrubbed and still be usable for an XP new license disk installation?

6. spdabbs

spdabbs

Drivers, I'm thinking more along the lines of chipset, graphics, sound etc - you'd either get them from Dell or whatever manufacturer produces the sound, graphics and so on. As for scrubbing the Vista drive - think twice before doing it - do you really want to have to purchase Vista when it becomes a requirement not an option? Though that would be fine, yeah.

7. Vista Stinks!

Thanks, yes it would be worth it to me to have use of this nice 160 gb drive with XP on it. XP is likely to be supported for several years to come, especially with all of the problems Vista is having.

In the end, sometime from now I will have to purchase a full Vista license if I obliterate it off of this HDD, but that's ok for now. I am going to enjoy it!

Thanks for all of the quick help, I'm marking this problem as solved, also will be making a Paypal donation today.

Thanks again for the quick replies,

Rick

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!