1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can dual channel memory be installed in channel 1 rather than channel 0?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by St!nkf!nger, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. St!nkf!nger

St!nkf!nger Thread Starter

Here's the problem, I'm building my new PC as we speak and I bought this mammoth cpu cooler (which while I knew it would be big I didn't read any reviews stating it covers a memory slot) which fully covers up my first ram slot and the heat spreader is too tall on the memory to try and weasel it in there. The Gigabyte's instructions tell me that there are two "dual channels" one using 1 and 3 and the other using 2 and 4. I installed the RAM into 2 and 4 because there is no other way for it to work. Is there any reason I wouldn't get the same performance out of slots 2 and 4 as opposed to 1 and 3?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Probably not, there are a few boards that require the first channel to be used but on most it will work the same.

3. St!nkf!nger

Everything is up and running with the memory in slots 2 and 4, but where do I check to make sure they are running in dual channel mode?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  5. St!nkf!nger

Well, it looks like I need to go back to stock cpu cooling because CPU-Z is telling me that my memory is only running in single channel mode in slots 2 and 4.

6. St!nkf!nger

Ok, so I put the stock CPU cooler in and switched my memory back into slots 1 and 3. However, when I run CPU-Z it is still telling me the memory is in single channel mode. Here's a picture:

[​IMG]

My guess is that it's telling me that only a single channel (out of a possible two) is being utilized and since DC Mode is grayed out it's my guess that I'm not running in dual channel mode. I know the memory I bought is Dual Channel, so what could the problem be?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    And you're sure the sticks are in the correct two slots. Maybe CPU-Z is wrong. Try Everest or SiSandra.

8. St!nkf!nger

Well, I got it sorted. The mobo manual says one thing then immediately contradicts itself. It states that channel 0 is slots 1 and 3 and channel 1 is slots 2 and 4. Then it draws a diagram showing channel 0 being slots 1 and 2 and channel 1 being slots 3 and 4. The only flaw I've found with what is an excellent Gigabyte motherboard. Problem solved.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well thats an easy fix (y)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/930609

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice