1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can I access data from a SATA or IDE hard drive on a system it's not configur

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NeedPCanswers, Jul 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NeedPCanswers

NeedPCanswers Thread Starter

I am wondering if I can access files on a SATA or IDE hard drive installed in a desktop computer with no other hard drive installed. Meaning, the drive I am trying to access isn't configured with drivers for the desktop's other hardware or motherboard. There is no other drive installed in the desktop. I was wanting to know if I could use a boot CD (Hiren's or Linux) to use as way to access files, pics, etc. and transfer it to a usb flash drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Sure I do this quite often. Go to parted magic's site and download the latest version. Burn it to a CD or flash drive. Boot with PM and copy whatever files you want. Note linux can read fat32, ntfs or the ex file format so there should be no problem.
    http://partedmagic.com/doku.php

FWIW I use parted magic for this type of task since it also has a lot of disk utilities ie secure erase, test disk, etc, etc.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can copy the files to another flash drive or burn them to cd/dvd.

4. NeedPCanswers

Ok, great. I have never used parted magic before.I am going to try it. Is it like a linux boot cd where I can use it to transfer files or does it just mount the disk and then I need to run a different boot CD like Hiren's or Linux? I was also wondering since no operating system is installed how would the usb flash drive be recognized? Where are the drivers coming from to make it work?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Parted magic is linux; it is a distro that is made for file rescue, partition editing, etc. It has all of the drivers you are going to need unless by chance you have a new wireless card. If you do, it may or may not have the wireless driver you need. Older wireless drivers are no problem however linux does seem to lack the latest wireless drivers. Other than that, you will have a display similar to windows, program menu, etc.

6. NeedPCanswers

Great. Thanks alot.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1103977

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice