1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can i charge my USB hot spot by plugging it in the cell phone charger?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Azfar, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Azfar

Azfar Thread Starter

I recently bought a wireless 3G USB modem / hot spot. Although i use it primarily by plugging in my PC USB port, It just occurred to me that my smartphone charger also has a USB port. So i was wondering if i can use the modem by using the charger USB port or not. That way i will not have to keep my PC powered on all the time. My charger has a output rating of 5V and 830mA. I reckon there shouldn't be a problem but want to be sure lest i damage the modem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: The title should read 'Power' instead of 'Charge'. Apologies for any confusion caused !!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The device may need to run software on the PC to work, it depends on the model I guess. An exact model of the device you bought would be helpful.

There are devices that work as standalone units or are complete routers. There are also routers that will accept USB 3G modems.

3. DVOM

DVOM

Another possibility is some laptops have one USB port that can be set to remain hot when the laptop is powered down. I believe you have to set it in the BIOs. What model is your laptop?

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I have an Asus Motherboard that still powers the Usb ports even when the Desktop PC is switched off.
    Might be worth checking if your PC does the same. Provided the stick will work on it's own of course.

5. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

I was about to tell you to try it, then I saw the specs for the hotspot: Support Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Mac. In other words, according to the website, you need Windows (or MAC) running in order to use the device. By the way, HSDPA: High-Speed Download Packet Access.

6. Azfar

Azfar Thread Starter

No the images are for reference only and not of the actual device.
    The device can work alone as it says inits paperwork. Its just that the power adapter is not part of the product package.
    I'm not using a Laptop. But yes i will check the USB options anyway. I'm using a vanilla PC. My mobo is Intel DZ68DP.
    Thanks for the replies. Be back if i find anything.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You still haven't told us what mystery device you actually have........

But if the documentation says that you can use just a power adapter then you can.

8. DVOM

DVOM

So you posted a "reference" picture of a modem that's not the actual model that we're talking about?

And as Triple6 says, a brand name and model number would help nail 'er down.

LOL :D

9. Azfar

Azfar Thread Starter

Hey....no the device is not a Mystery at all :) !! I was just too bogged down at the time of posting that i didn't feel like taking pics of my stuff and uploading them.
    So i just did a quick image search of a USB modem and an adapter and posted them, just to give an idea of what i was talking about.

Anyway here's the link to the Modem that i have

http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/productFeatures.do?pinfoId=3359&directoryId=5008&treeId=582&tab=0

Its being sold by one of our local ISPs with their logo and all. and no, their customer service wont have a clue what I'm talking about even if i proceed them.

As for power adapter, its for my Sony Experia cell phone

Input: 100-240V ~ @ 50Hz, 150mA
    output: 5V DC, 830mA.

I know a USB device runs at 5 volts and generally extracts anywhere between 100 to 200 milli amps. So as long as the adapter is giving me 5V, it should do the job ??

I figured since portables modems are becoming more and more common, someone might have tried it :eek:

10. DVOM

DVOM

The web site says it works with an external power supply without giving any specifics, so I would give it a try. I think all the available power supplies that have a USB outlet are all powering at the same specs as a USB port on a computer. Otherwise the threat of legal action would be too much for the manufacturers.

11. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Usb port specification is 5V and up to 500mA so it can supply the needed current so should work fine.

12. Azfar

Azfar Thread Starter

Success :D

It works !! .....

I finally gathered the heart to go for it. but did in steps. First i plugged in a bluetooth device lying around just to see if it powered on. It did. I checked it by plugging it back on to PC. Worked fine. No damage.
    Then did the same with an older (and cheaper) 3G device. It powered fine. Lights blinking and all. Rechecked it on PC. No issues.

Finally went with the current modem. Bingo. Checked wi-fi connectivity on the phone. No issues.

Thanks all for the help. Cheers.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083759

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice