1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can I clone my iMac onto a second one?

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by verbalista, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. verbalista

verbalista Thread Starter

I have an iMac downstairs that I use for social and personal things, my upstairs computer, in my office and that I use for my work, is an outdated PC. I want to buy a second iMac, but, I don't have time to install all the things I've put on my Mac downstairs (running 10.5.8). Is there a way to clone the drive of my Mac onto my new Mac that will include my 3rd party software?
    I tried using the Mac's own sync when I bought my Macbook air (laptop), it took about 14 hours and did practically nothing to help me out, I could have done what I wanted (to take everything) manually.

Thanks experts, will be very grateful for your help.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. verbalista

Oh, this is just perfect! I'm off to download the program right now. Thanks so much, Elvandil.

P.S. Love your avatar!

I'm marking this solved.

4. Headrush

Headrush

Harder than it needs to be and requires an external HD and may not work.

Get yourself a firewire cable and connect the two iMacs.
    Start the new iMac while holding the 't' key. (This starts the computer in target mode)
    Start Carbon Copy Cloner and select your old iMac HD as the source, but now the new iMac HD will be an option to select as the source.

This will clone it dirtily onto the new iMac internal HD without the need for an external drive and the extra step.

A few gotchas:

1) How different are the iMacs? If the new iMac has enough changed hardware, the old iMac software may not have the drivers you need and you could have issues. (including not starting)

2) You said you used the built-in sync with MacBookAir. (Assuming you mean Migration Assistant) The was likely slow because it was over Wifi or a slow ethernet line? (10Mbps)

Your best/safest option IF the two iMacs are different is to:
    1) Install a clean system using the supplied OS X DVD.
    2) Connect using firewire like noted above and than use the built-in Migration Assistant to transfer personal user files and Applications. (You'll find over Firewire in target mode is much faster)

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

You're welcome. There are other approaches, of course. Just pick the one you like, or more importantly, understand. :D

6. verbalista

Thanks again. I have no trouble understanding anything, LOL. I just am not sure how different my new iMac will be physically, and I will look into that before "dirtily" cloning my current computer onto it. I really need to save all the time it would take to configure the new iMac.
    I love skipping the HD and going with the firewire.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, it all comes down to drivers. But the good news is that you can try a straight clone to see if it works. If not, you still have the original so you can try something else.

8. Headrush

Headrush

I tried from a 2007 iMac to a 2011 iMac and it was a no go.
    Even a 10.6.0 Snow Leopard DVD wouldn't boot on this iMac, since support was added in a later 10.6.x update.

9. tompatrick

tompatrick Banned

It is certainly possible to clone your iMac disk through Mac utility software called Stellar Drive Clone. It will not only copy the third party software present on your disk but actually creates a replica of your iMac hard disk. Once you cloned the hard drive it can be used as ready-to-use copy of your original iMac disk.

10. verbalista

Thanks TomPatrick! Well, first thing after New Year's, I will go at this with a will. Happy Holidays!!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031856

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice