1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can I connect a Printer to home network thru routers usb slot?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by xpsolutions, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpsolutions

xpsolutions Thread Starter

I have three home desktop computers all with windows 7 ultimate and connected to internet by ethernet cable via a Dlink n router DIR 628.

I know I can connect a printer installed to one computer and then sharing it through Windows 7's homegroup sharing. But I guess the printer can't be shared if the computer its plugged to is not ON.

The Dlink router has a usb slot at the back. Can I share the Printer on the home network thru the routers usb slot?. The printer has no ethernet port.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    support site for that dlink http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=670 - with manual - click on "support resources"
    The USB appears to be available only to setup wireless settings - so NO you cant use for printer - But you can buy print servers which will connect to the LAN connection - USB print server HUB - belkin make 2 one for just lan and one for wireless - but there others available

3. xpsolutions

xpsolutions Thread Starter

thanks for the info etaf. I found out that Yes one can install a printer or a storage device like an external hard drive on the network through the usb port on the router.
    Since my router is Dlink, I installed the Shareport Utility and after installation it asked to plug in the printer or storage device and it automatically detected it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918022

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice