1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can I connect my cisco modem with ethernet cable?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by misslucy90, Sep 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. misslucy90

misslucy90 Thread Starter

I have Time Warner internet with a cisco modem two weeks ago I hooked up a belkin router so I can use my laptop also. Everything seem to be working fine until a few days ago now the laptop seems okay but the desktop is slower than dail-up. I called Time Warner and they had me connect the desktop directly to the modem by passing the router and all was well but as soon as I went back thur the router the problem was back so they said it must be a problem with the router but my laptop and two printers are working fine with the router just the desktop is having an issue. My question is the modem has an ubs connection and I was wondering if I could use that to hook it to my computer by passing the router.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes. But you probably are paying for only one public IP address so you could have internet access with that one computer or through the router, but not both at the same time.

Better is to try to solve the ethernet issue. Does another computer work OK using the same cable and router LAN port?

3. misslucy90

My sister's laptop and two wireless printers work fine the desktop's internet speed is very slow hooked up thur the router but works fine directly to the modem. Time Warner seems to think it's a problem with the router but how can that be when the laptop and other wireless devices work fine. Can I hook the desktop up the modem using the modems ubs port?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    See post # 2.

Working fine when connected by wireless says absolutely nothing about the cable or router LAN port used by the problem computer. Did you, or dd you not, successfully test with the laptop or another computer using the same cable and router LAN port? Time Warner technicians are not paid to worry about this question, as their jobs are to support Time Warner's service and equipment.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    By the way, maybe it is dumb assumption, but I am assuming that "ubs" is referring to a USB port or cable.

6. misslucy90

As I was attempting to hook-up the laptop to test it I realized I had the router wires all wrong. Once I switched the wires it works fine. I've always told everyone when it come to computers check the user first lol. Thank you for your time.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1069884

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice