1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can I download/unzip/install stuff "anywhere" on my pc?

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by piscespassion, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. piscespassion

piscespassion Thread Starter

I'm trying to keep all my business-related "stuff" in my business file folder. Is it ok to "store anything" in a file folder? For instance, I keep all business-related docs & spreadsheets, but also images (instead of in My Pictures folder) and .exe setups (instead of in my Program Files)... is this ok for a pc? Or does it cause it confusion?
    Thx so much, and please bare with me cus I guess I'm still considered a "newbie" :p
    ~Rose
    Summary of my Q: Can I "download" anything anywhere? Can I "unzip" anything anywhere? And can I "install" anything anywhere?

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    You can download to anywhere and unzip to anywhere (unless given particular instructions to the contrary). The only criteria are that you have permission to access the folder (You cannot for example download to someone else's user account) You can also often leave program installers wherever you like though some big programs will make a fuss if you try to install.

In terms of actually installing the program it will depend on the program being installed. A decent installer will provide you with the option of installing to a different folder, so that is again probably a yes. The option may be hidden behind an advanced install, custom install, or similar button during the process. However I would be inclined to stick to using Program Files as the default unless you have a particular reason not to. Having programs mixed up with your documents and other files is normally a recipe for disaster.
    One thing you should not do is install a program to Program files and then decide to drag all of that program's files into your business folder. That will just cause a nightmare.

Overall it is your computer and you can put most things where you like. Just make sure that it is logical enough for you to find your way around and sustainable for when you have a lot more "stuff". It shouldn't cause excessive confusion for the PC. You should be more concerned about whether you (and anyone else who needs to use the machine) will be confused.

3. piscespassion

piscespassion Thread Starter

I'll just call it a wrap right here, cus what you're saying makes "total" sense to me... thank you!
    **HAPPY HOLIDAYS**

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!