1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can I download Windows Updates to CD?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cj2448, Jan 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cj2448

cj2448 Thread Starter

I have a friend w/dialup,yeah, I know, and it's taking FOREVER to do windows update. Is there a way I can download on my broadband computer to CD then install on her computer?

Thanks and kindest regards,
    Christine

2. imidiot

imidiot

3. cj2448

cj2448 Thread Starter

Thanks, however, do I just double click on it and it will run, or do I have to copy and past to a particular folder? Do you know?

4. imidiot

imidiot

i would just gather them all in a folder on the desktop. that way, it will be easier to put on a cd.

5. cj2448

cj2448 Thread Starter

I get the download part, but when I take it to friends to update her computer that is on dialup, how do I get it to work, just double click and it will do what it needs to, or do I have to put it in a certian folder for the windows update to work...know what I mean?

6. imidiot

imidiot

they should behave like any download. when you open it, it should ask. 'do you want to install' select yes. and since it is a windows update. it should go to the right folder.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Do yourself a favor and go to the Windows Update site directly. Do you really want to get your Windows patches from a 3rd party source? :rolleyes:

Once you get the main Windows Update page open, follow the Use administrator options link on the left side. The top link on that page is Windows Update Catalog which allows you to download any/all of the service packs and security patches for later installation.

8. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Well the first thing I would do is download the latest service pack for their OS. From their most of the Hotfixes aren't really that big. If they are using XP, just have it set to download updates automatically. The BackGround Intelligent Transfer service basically throttles the bandwidth on the updates so that it doesn't interfere with your online surfing.

9. frankjohn

frankjohn

Free of charge : MICROSOFT will send you sp2 disc. If os is xp likeSquashman states set updates to download automatically

10. MowermanEd

MowermanEd

Yes, go to http://autopatcher.com/ and DL all 200+ MB's of updates and patches and add-ons for XP. They provide a new list of files every month. You can get the whole thing or just an incremental update every month. It's SOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo much faster than going to Windows Update site after a reinstall of the OS.

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Once again, why go to a 3rd party site when you can go directly to Microsoft and download the updates? I can't imagine their downloads being faster than downloading the files from Microsoft, I get 750kbyte/sec download speeds from Microsoft, all my Comcast pipe will hold. :)

12. cj2448

cj2448 Thread Starter

That's exactly what I was looking for, the Windows Update Catalog from Microsoft...thanks John! I had researched it and found links to it from other sites, but I couldn't find it on Microsoft.

13. hewee

hewee

Have the person come over to your place and get the updates on your broadband.
    Even if they don't have a network card they are cheap so putting one in and then getting all the update from you place will be more easy.

On my 98SE I never had any of the MS updates till my sister got cable and I took my PC over there with a network card and installed the card and hooked up to the cable and got all the updates.

Then later I got cable.

14. jmwills

jmwills

The files in the link are ar .exe files so just save thne to a generic folder and burn the folder to a CD. Take the Cd to the other machine and run the updates one by one. What's the issue with this?

15. cj2448

cj2448 Thread Starter

I found my way to the windows updates, however, and DUH, got stuck on the 1st options, the OS!!!

There are so many to choose from, how do I figure out which I have?

The choices are like this, and there are more than I am putting here:

XP Professional SP2
    XP Professional X64 Edition
    XP RTM
    XP SP1
    XP SP2
    XP IA64 BIT EDITION
    XP IA64 BIT EDIDITON 2003 FAMILY and on and on.

:(

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431683

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice