Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Can I download Windows Updates to CD?

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  cj2448 
#1 ·
I have a friend w/dialup,yeah, I know, and it's taking FOREVER to do windows update. Is there a way I can download on my broadband computer to CD then install on her computer?

Thanks and kindest regards,
Christine

#5 ·
imidiot said:
i would just gather them all in a folder on the desktop. that way, it will be easier to put on a cd.
I get the download part, but when I take it to friends to update her computer that is on dialup, how do I get it to work, just double click and it will do what it needs to, or do I have to put it in a certian folder for the windows update to work...know what I mean?

#7 ·
Do yourself a favor and go to the Windows Update site directly. Do you really want to get your Windows patches from a 3rd party source? :rolleyes:

Once you get the main Windows Update page open, follow the Use administrator options link on the left side. The top link on that page is Windows Update Catalog which allows you to download any/all of the service packs and security patches for later installation.

#8 ·
Well the first thing I would do is download the latest service pack for their OS. From their most of the Hotfixes aren't really that big. If they are using XP, just have it set to download updates automatically. The BackGround Intelligent Transfer service basically throttles the bandwidth on the updates so that it doesn't interfere with your online surfing.

#10 ·
Yes, go to http://autopatcher.com/ and DL all 200+ MB's of updates and patches and add-ons for XP. They provide a new list of files every month. You can get the whole thing or just an incremental update every month. It's SOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo much faster than going to Windows Update site after a reinstall of the OS.

#11 ·
Once again, why go to a 3rd party site when you can go directly to Microsoft and download the updates? I can't imagine their downloads being faster than downloading the files from Microsoft, I get 750kbyte/sec download speeds from Microsoft, all my Comcast pipe will hold. :)

#12 ·
JohnWill said:
Do yourself a favor and go to the Windows Update site directly. Do you really want to get your Windows patches from a 3rd party source? :rolleyes:

Once you get the main Windows Update page open, follow the Use administrator options link on the left side. The top link on that page is Windows Update Catalog which allows you to download any/all of the service packs and security patches for later installation.
That's exactly what I was looking for, the Windows Update Catalog from Microsoft...thanks John! I had researched it and found links to it from other sites, but I couldn't find it on Microsoft.

#13 ·
Have the person come over to your place and get the updates on your broadband.
Even if they don't have a network card they are cheap so putting one in and then getting all the update from you place will be more easy.

On my 98SE I never had any of the MS updates till my sister got cable and I took my PC over there with a network card and installed the card and hooked up to the cable and got all the updates.

Then later I got cable.

#15 ·
I found my way to the windows updates, however, and DUH, got stuck on the 1st options, the OS!!!

There are so many to choose from, how do I figure out which I have?

The choices are like this, and there are more than I am putting here:

XP Professional SP2
XP Professional X64 Edition
XP RTM
XP SP1
XP SP2
XP IA64 BIT EDITION
XP IA64 BIT EDIDITON 2003 FAMILY and on and on.

:(

#16 ·
What version of XP are you running, XP-Home or XP-Pro? Right click on My Computer and select properties. It should tell you if it's Home or Pro, and the latest full service pack loaded. Obviously, it's not any of the 64 bit versions, so I'd pick the XP SP1 or XP SP2 selections, depending on your properties display.

#17 ·
JohnWill said:
What version of XP are you running, XP-Home or XP-Pro? Right click on My Computer and select properties. It should tell you if it's Home or Pro, and the latest full service pack loaded. Obviously, it's not any of the 64 bit versions, so I'd pick the XP SP1 or XP SP2 selections, depending on your properties display.
Thanks John, and one last question, is there a way for me to look somewhere on computer to see what updates I have and which I need, again, the person I am helping, their comptuer is on dial up so it takes FOREVER for me to let windows determine.

Thanks a heap!

#19 ·
Another option and it's a little more work is to get the update #'s from MS website. and just download the updates indivdually. I had a problem on a few of my workstations where even a few of the updates would not install from windowsupdate. they are usually small .exe files that can be run seperately

#20 ·
superduty455 said:
Another option and it's a little more work is to get the update #'s from MS website. and just download the updates indivdually. I had a problem on a few of my workstations where even a few of the updates would not install from windowsupdate. they are usually small .exe files that can be run seperately
See post #7, I think that suggestion was already covered. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.