1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can i edit a backup created in XP backup utility?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vookster82, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vookster82

vookster82 Thread Starter

Hi there, basically what im looking to do is delete some old entries that the XP backup utility has created over time that i setup a while ago. Im using the "copy" option..so nothing has been appended or incremental.

Im just looking to avoid deleting the setup i got, and maybe just delete a few "copy" backups so that theres not 8 gigs / 1 years worth of backups...i only need about 4 months :eek: I forgot about it....cuz i never neaded it :p

But it looks as if its the only way b/c i cant just delete selected backups...all or nothing?/ :mad:

Anyone know of a better backup utility that is simple and easy on a system BTW??? :(

Thanks for looking.

2. Dan O

Dan O

I am not sure what you want.

Are you Running NTBACKUP, which comes with Windows XP PRO?

Or exactly how are you backing up files?

3. vookster82

yeah yeah...thats the word i was looking for...:p I couldnt find the actual name of the utility....:rolleyes:

But yeah, thats it...the default backup utilty for XP (right click C:, props, tools, bkup)

I want to chop off some of the backups from a long time ago w/o having to delete the bkup scheduling for that job....

Normally i would just delete it, and create a new with the same previous specs....but i got a few computers to do this to, and would really like it if i could keep about half the backups created on each computer and not mess with anything else...if that makes any sense.:eek:

4. Dan O

Dan O

Each time a backup is made it creates a new .BKF file, which can be deleted if no longer needed.

Is that what you wanted to know?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd also consider a better backup application. :)

6. vookster82

ill take a closer look...if anything ill do a *.bfk search and nit pick throught it...thanks.

JW, any recomendations on a simple non resource hogging bkup utility?? :confused:

7. JohnWill

8. vookster82

cobian seems like a robust, yet simple utility. Havnt had any problems with it since the install either. Thanks for the suggestion JW

I think i just gonna scratch the nt backup for quite some time now.....forever. (y)

I kinda pieced the .bfk files togethers for what i wanted to do...but its just not worth the hassle anymore.

9. JohnWill

I tried screwing around with ntbackup, but it wasn't worth the effort. :)

10. vookster82

my feelings exactly.
    You would think M$ would atleast provide something a bit more relative for backups. :rolleyes:

Ill have to take a look at a vista beta and see what they offer other than more headaches of layered spahgetti code.:eek:

Hey JW, how did you edit the URL name to just say Cobian Backup??? I always wondered how to shorten/ change urls :p

11. JohnWill

If you use the Advanced reply box, you can select the text you want to name your link, click on the Create Link icon [​IMG] above the text box, and paste the actual link into the box.

12. vookster82

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/492784

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice