1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can I install a Dell-provided OEM version of Vista on a non-Dell computer?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by adanedhel728, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adanedhel728

adanedhel728 Thread Starter

The short version of my question is exactly what the topic says-- Can I install a Dell-provided OEM version of Vista on a non-Dell computer?

But, here's the wordier version giving context, if anyone's interested.

About 10 months ago, I guess, I got a Dell Vostro that came with Windows Vista Home Basic. However, I had no interest in Vista (because I already had a Windows machine) and the very first thing I did was install Ubuntu on it. I still have the Vista reinstall disk, though, which, to my memory, hasn't been used.

Now I'm planning on getting a barebones system and upgrading what I see fit. For the time being, I'm going to use the Windows 7 RC, but I'd like to get the uber-great upgrade deal that they're having to pre-order either the Business or Home Premium version upgrade. So, to do that, I'd need an XP installation or a Vista installation. Is there any reason, legal or software-related, that I wouldn't be able to install Vista using that disk that came with the Vostro?

I heard somewhere that sometimes if you try, it'll say something like "This is not a Dell computer, you evil, evil person" and refuse to install, so I wanted to make sure before I pre-ordered the upgrade. I don't want to get the upgrade and have nothing to upgrade, of course. :D

2. Sponsor

3. Alkison

Alkison

That OEM disc is registered to your dell and will only work on that, if it worked on any computer Microsoft would be taking big losses.

4. adanedhel728

adanedhel728 Thread Starter

Ok, thanks. I'll get 7 from my university instead.

5. Mollie

Mollie

The OEM version of Vista that came with your Dell was made to work *specifically* with that particular Dell. It won't install on another computer, probably not even another Dell, unless it was the *exact* same make and model, down to the tiniest piece of hardware, as yours.

Mollie

6. Mollie

Mollie

Oops - didn't see the solved. :D

7. Alkison

Alkison

Glad I could help!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/838790