Solved: Can I Install A Purchased Copy Of XP ON A Dell Dimension 2400

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Lanesant

A friend of mined needed a clean install for his Dell Dimension 2400. The restore
disc is very different as it wants to know what partition you want to put it on. There
was no other choices. So I believe that we destroyed the restore partition without
knowing it had one.

If I buy a Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition OEM Version will it work to
solve this problem? TigerDirect sells a copy. I need the full disc and not an
upgrade. But will we have drivers problems. He does have other disc with
his Dell which one says its for drivers but in reality its just disc of Docs. And
one that does actually install the modem as he's still on dialup.

Can I wipe his hard-drive clean and install an OEM version of Home Edition
and will things work??? A little out of pocket money is easier then suffering
through trying to get it done.

Can anyone help me?????

Ray

The OEM version from TigerDirect comes with a license....no problems.

Before wiping, make a disc of the drivers for his particular hardware in case you do have any problems.

I just did that on my sons computer, Dell 2400. No problems with the install and all the drivers were included in the XP CD. A couple of minor adjustments and he was good to go.

Consider installing a new hard drive. When I have a system melt down I buy a new hard drive and install it. You can create a perfectly clean system on a less tired HD. The other hard drive is then left intact and you can install it as well into the new setup, pull all the old files off of it to the new HD and then reformat it and use it as a backup storage.

I just got a 250GB HD from Circuit City for $60 after rebate, lets just hope I remember to send the rebate in this time.

Lanesant

jwinathome said:

Before wiping, make a disc of the drivers for his particular hardware in case you do have any problems.
Sorry about the quoting. I really do appreciate everyone who has answered this for
me. I have never bought from TigerDirect so you've made me feel better. I just want
a licensed copy without issues and that alone makes me secure.

I have spent the last hour in chat will Dell. From their point of view then I can wipe
his hard-drive and reinstall their software. He has the 3 disc that comes with Windows
Xp s2p and one with drivers. They gave me a link to showing me how this
is done. And I assume if his hard-drive was clean then it might make it easier. I
hate their restore software. Its not user friendly.

How do I wipe his drive BEFORE I use their disk. It seems that it would be easier
to clean off his disk using something like diskscrubber or something that would save
his cdrom setting on to his floppy and then let me clean it up and then put in their
restore disc after a good cleaning.

The link below is very useful as thats what their software looks like. But with
his current partitions and one thats messed up then its very confusing compared
to my HP. I just put the dvd in and off it goes.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

Am I better off buying him a copy of Windows Xp or trying Dells solutions first?

Really appreciate all your advice. I spent 9 hours on Friday freaking out cause
I know a bit more then he does but it aint much. Thanks again.

Ray

Don't beat yourselves up too badly . . I don't think the 2400 series came with the restore partition . . just a diagnostic partition. Dell does not supply Restoration discs, He should have received a Reinstallation disc which installs exactly the same as a retail or OEM version.

If he has lost it, Tiger Direct can sometimes charge a lot for shipping . . You can also get an OEM install disc here.

To install, enter BIOS ( Setup ) and set the first boot device as CD/ROM. Put your XP Disc in the drive and disconnect all external peripherals except the monitor, keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB, or wireless. Any internal USB card should also be removed.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from CD" . . do that and you will be able to delete any or all partitions and recreate one or more, then proceed to formating and installing XP.

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. This will delete all data on the drive so be sure you have your important data backed up. The prompt will appear after every reboot, but do not press any key on subsequent reboots. The setup process will continue with no action required from you.

If you do not get that message, and if you have another optical drive, try the XP CD in the other drive.

You can get a reinstallation guide specific to your Dell here
http://support.dell.com/support/top...install/en/index?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

This is a great guide for reinstalling on a Dell: http://www.djdenham.com/Install Procedures.htm

This is a site that walks you thru a simulated XP installation:
http://www.echoproject.net/en/software/catalog.html

These are good guides to reinstalling XP . . you might want to print one for reference during the install.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp
http://www.socrtwo.info/cleanxpinstall.htm
http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

After the installation, you will need to download and install 80 or so Windows Updates, prior to connecting to the internet be sure you enable the XP firewall. If your XP installation disc does not include SP2, immediately after the installation download and install SP-2, while windows is clean

For help entering BIOS: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Lanesant

Simpswr

I appreciate your response. I didnt think his computer had built in system restore
either else I wouldnt have attempted to use those disc. His is basic bottom of the
line computer. So I didnt research the idea that he had built in restore.

My computer shows a recovery drive. As does most who have one. So I assumed
that the disc which came with his machine were recovery on cdrom. But when I
put the main one in it goes through a set of agreements and then the keycode from
the side of his machine and then it shows me two partitions. One is huge. One is
small. It wont let me go over the big one so I went over the small one and it did
in fact restore windows on to his E drive. It dual boots. Pauses at the start asking
which one do you want. Everything worked on both boots. Except the graphic on
the partition which we deleted and re-created. Which I kinda think might have been
some sort of hidden restore. Which I didnt think it had. And on that E drive isnt
enough space left to to fill an average cdrom. And then you have on the other
boot drive 80 gigs of space filled with everything he started with.

I'm out of my league here. But I've gotta fix it. He knows how to turn it on. He
has been my friend forever. This is the first computer he's ever bought cause he's
had all my hand me downs.

I have a the service pack 2 cdrom. I have all sorts of programs to keep him safe.
Firewalls and everything else. But it might be easier to buy Windows XP and just do
it. Whats a hundred bucks? I have spent that on a good bottle of scotch ;)

I appreciate all the links you gave me and I will use them too. I guess that I will
attempt to do the clean install and try the dell cdroms. If all else fails then I'll get
the Windows Xp Home Edition and go from there.

When it comes to friends and family then if the water is above my head then I just
go out and go in debt and fix problems and never tell them otherwise. One stress
gets paid off every month and its sometimes easier then letting your friends down.

I do appreciate your time and everything you put into your response.

Ray

Sounds like you ended up with parrallel installtions . . the key is to boot from the Install CD . . not put it in while windows is running.

Once you boot from the CD, you can delete both partitions . . then create one or more and install on that. There is no need to buy another install Disc . . You can do that with the Dell Reinstallation disc . . it is exactly like a Microsoft install disc, except it will only install on a Dell

The links will explain all this in detail

Lanesant

Yeah there are two windows xps on his computers. One on each partition. So to
boot it while windows is not running is to put the disc in an shut it down and then
boot? I dont know how to boot without running windows other than putting the
disc in and shutting all the way down and then turning it back on.

I appreciate your help.

simpswr said:
Sounds like you ended up with parrallel installtions . . the key is to boot from the Install CD . . not put it in while windows is running.

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
Lanesant said:
Yeah there are two windows xps on his computers. One on each partition. So to boot it while windows is not running is to put the disc in an shut it down and then boot? I dont know how to boot without running windows other than putting the
disc in and shutting all the way down and then turning it back on.
That should work. If it does not start from the CD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS Setup (tapping F2 as soon as the PC starts gets you into the BIOS setup).

Once you get Windows reinstalled you are going to end up with all those nifty free programs from Dell like McAfee free trial, AOL free trial, Dell Search Assistant, etc... like when it was new. PC Decrapifier > http://www.yorkspace.com/pc-de-crapifier can help you get rid of the bloat.

Originally Posted by Lanesant
Yeah there are two windows xps on his computers. One on each partition. So to boot it while windows is not running is to put the disc in an shut it down and then boot?
Right . . watch closely for the "Press any key to boot from CD" prompt . .

Frank4d said:
Once you get Windows reinstalled you are going to end up with all those nifty free programs from Dell like McAfee free trial, AOL free trial, Dell Search Assistant, etc... like when it was new. PC Decrapifier > http://www.yorkspace.com/pc-de-crapifier can help you get rid of the bloat.
The Dell Reinstallation CD is not a restore cd . . it just installs XP . .

Lanesant

I have one other question and then I wont post anymore until I've reinstalled xp on his
computer. When the screen comes up showing his partitions. His showed 4 areas.
One for C drive and then under that was a hidden. Then E drive and under that was
hidden. Do I delete the E drive that we deleted and added the second version of Xp to?

His computers boots from cdrom. So I think that I can do through that. But when I ran
it the first time it would not allow me to write over the C drive. Or do I delete all of
those partitions and create a C drive for the new installation of Xp?

Lanesant

jwinathome said:

Would it be easier to wipe his hard drive clean before reinstalling windows xp? It seems
like it would erase all those partitions and when I reinstall then there would only be one
place to put the new install instead of multipal choice.

Is there an easy way to wipe his disc before reinstalling windows xp?

I appreciate your help.

Ray

Lanesant said:
When the screen comes up showing his partitions. His showed 4 areas. One for C drive and then under that was a hidden. Then E drive and under that was hidden. Do I delete the E drive that we deleted and added the second version of Xp to?
I would delete all of the partitions that you can . . one of the smaller ones will not delete, and that's ok. This way you get a clean slate to install on.

Lanesant said:
His computers boots from cdrom. So I think that I can do through that. But when I ran it the first time it would not allow me to write over the C drive. Or do I delete all of those partitions and create a C drive for the new installation of Xp?
Delete 'em all, then set up one to install on

Lanesant said:
Would it be easier to wipe his hard drive clean before reinstalling windows xp? It seems like it would erase all those partitions and when I reinstall then there would only be one place to put the new install instead of multipal choice.

Is there an easy way to wipe his disc before reinstalling windows xp?

I appreciate your help.

Ray
Using XP to delete then recreate partitions is as easy and effective way to get to a clean slate as any other program

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online