1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: can i install any Intel Pentium 4 cpu

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by angie7, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. angie7

angie7 Thread Starter

Hi.i have a 1.5 ghz Intel Pentium 4 on a sis 661fx motherboard.can i update it to any Intel Pentium 4 cpu.or is there a number that i have to stick to.also is it straight forward after installing.just reinstall windows after replacing cpu.thankyou

2. brite750

brite750

your MB is very old it will not support every P4, it will most likely not support any 800fsb and may not even support every 400/533fsb cpu, you have to list your MB make & model or check your MB manual

also you do not have to reload Windows, just drop the new CPU in and your done.

3. angie7

angie7 Thread Starter

thankyou very much.

4. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Had a look for th echipset, to see what it says. It will support an 800 FSB, so provided you dont exceed that it should be ok. Quick check shows that a P4 3.2 runs at 800 FSB (but check it yourself, to be sure) so i guess that should be ok. However you need to check your motherboard manual, or if you dont have one, the name of the mobo or computer, to really make sure.
    In terms of installing, the procedure is fairly simple usually, but you need to make sure it is done correctly, or no more computer.
    On the bright side, after installing a new chip, you should not have to reinstall windows.

5. angie7

angie7 Thread Starter

oh thankyou.just found it in the manual.says socket 478 up 2 3.4+ ghz.supports htt.will it make a difference in speed etc.from a 1.5ghz.as i have changed from 512mb ram to 1024.and is a lot of difference.thankyou

6. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

If you go from a 1.5 to a 3.4, chances are you will notice a huuuuuuuuuuuuge difference, in terms of loading, speed, etc. The increase in ram will have helped an awful lot, so if you do upgrade the cpu you should find everything a lot quicker :)

7. brite750

brite750

can you list the make and model of your MB or computer

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

The problem you are likely to encounter is the fact that Socket 478 processors ranged from 2.26Ghz. to 3.4Ghz. The caveat to this is some of these processors were manufactured using the 0.13 micron "Northwood" core, and some were manufactured using the 90nm "Prescott" core.

Many boards that will support "Northwood" cored processors do not support "Prescott" cored processors.

9. brite750

brite750

had to figure it was a bit more complicated than putting any old pent4 in the MB, I'm surprised all 478's went up to 800fsb

10. brite750

brite750

certainly if you can put a 3ghz or more in your MB that would be worth thinking about

11. angie7

angie7 Thread Starter

Hi.thanks for all the replya.yes the mb is epox sis 661fx.the computer is shop built.my 478 processor is now 1.5 ghz.win2kpro quoted
    ***( 478 processors ranged from 2.26Ghz. to 3.4Ghz. The caveat to this is some of these processors were manufactured using the 0.13 micron "Northwood" core, and some were manufactured using the 90nm "Prescott" core.)***.

how do i find out if the mb is 0.13 northwood or 90nm prescott

thankyou all

12. win2kpro

win2kpro

I made a mistake in post #8. The clock speed in the socket 478 processors ranged from 1.4Ghz. to 3.4Ghz.

If you have a Pentium 4 1.5Ghz. socket 478 it has to be a Williamette core with a FSB of 400Mhz.

If you have an Epox board, somewhere on the board should be an Epox model number such as EP-4SGM8I. To know which processors are supported by your board you need to locate the Epox model number. Please locate the Epox number and post it.

13. win2kpro

win2kpro

If you don't know what motherboard you have go here; http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

and download SIW 1.70. This is an executable that doesn't have to be installed on your machine. Just download it to the desktop and launch the application. After the application launches click on Motherboard in the left pane, and when the right hand side pane opens see what information it gives you for the board. Post the Motherboard Information.

If you want to delete SIW 1.70 just right click on the desktop icon and delete it. You may want to keep it since it is handy for finding information for your machine.

14. brite750

brite750

15. angie7

angie7 Thread Starter

thankyou brite750 and win2kpro.yes the model number is ep-4sgm8I.just like the link one above.my mb went down so they put all my ram/cpu etc onto that mb.so am i right in reading the link that it supports both.or am i reading it wrong.that link is it great help.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/631054

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice